Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

refocus is a beneficial tool to utilize in the classroom

Proper ways to get students to actively participate and take joiy in what they are learning and show them how it will add value into their lives and careers. 

I didn't know that the adult attention span is about 10-15 minutes, which is helpful to know when thinking abut course planning for each day.

Keeping all types of students engaged - and how to handle the over talkers and no talkers 

The study offers some important points about the importance of building rapport with the students. It will aide in assisting in the development of trust, respect and identification of goals that student and instructor have in common.  

Your enthusiasm as an instructor lays the foundation for the class.  Also learned techniques for challenges with participation.  

Engagement and staying engaged. 

I really like the "Refocus" acronym and what it entails.

I learned about the importance to keep ourselves motivated as instructors. Tools like REFOCUS can help us to keep ourselves and the students motivated, especially in the middle of the courses, when it is hard to keep the motivation sometimes.

Faculty also experience a certain degree of frustration, students pickup on this. Refocusing yourself, looking back on what you have already accomplished and redirecting yourself to the task at hand will demonstrate to your students your commitment to their success.

Engaging the class with personal stories is a method that I have seen used, and brings a practical, real world approach to the topic being discussed. 

Because the discipline I teach involves crisis management, based upon knowledge of basic anatomy and physiology, conducting a crisis scenario seems like a very good teaching method. 

I have used a method to teach how to manage high risk births, prepare the infant for transport, and for how to stabilize and treat the newly-born upon arrival at the tertiary institution.  We utilized the surgery laboratory for pretend emergency C-section, then moved to the nursing laboratory to stabilize the infant, then transported the infant to the Respiratory Care laboratory, placing it on the optimal ventilatory settings, administering surfactant, etc. . 

Looking back, I would assess having seen 100% (enthusiastic) participation among my students. 

We received amazing ideas on how to keep our students engaged in the learning throughout the course, and ideas on how to shakeup our own instruction so we don't become rote information-spewing robots...

The instructor should be enthusiastic and passionate about their job/trade, and it will show to the student, the reverse is also true.

I learned that to engage the students I must keep myself motivated and excited about the material. It is normal for a slump in motivation and energy around mid term. I learned some methods to recognize this and try to combat it with REFOCUS methods to help me realize all the progress that has been made and help keep the students spirits up by using surprising stories, and games to liven up the classroom. 

Enjoyed this module where I learned about Learnativity where a Novice becomes an Expert with confidence and what REFOCUS is.

Love learning about the refocus tool is very helpful in this module.

REFOCUS is totally new concept to me but of great potential use.

The REFOCUS teaching tool was a revelation for me!  Even though some I know I had done before, it was nice to have it organized in a way to help keep the class and myself excited and focused on the material through the entire course.

In this module, I learned that the best use methods to encourage students to be active in class and increase students retention. Also, I will apply these method during contents of class, homeworks, quizzes and group activities.

Sign In to comment