Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This chapter went into engaging students that for some reason or another does not engage during class and the different ways to go about doing this such as asking opion questions, writing their answers on 3x5 cards or even a 60 second term paper.  Also using  REFOCUS: Recognize, Empower, Focus, Objective, Commit, Unburden, & Surprise (use this to regain momentum that may have been lost approaching the middle of the term.

It is appropriate to keep focus on students but not to be too personal with students and not cross unprofessional lines of professionalism.

Show interest and enthusiasm in the material that you are teaching so that the students can remain engaged. A lack of enthusiasm and effort from the instructor will encourage the students to react in the same way. Use role-play as one of the methods of learning and allow students to put into practice what they have learned and present situations for them to use problem-solving and communication skills to work together and learn from one another. 

Developing rapport and keeping students engaged can significantly help them be involved in the classroom. 

I enjoyed learning about the REFOCUS approach in the classroom. Recognizing, Empowering, Focus, Objectivize, Commit, Unburden, and Surprise. It is interesting to know as an instructor one can always keep the class interesting.

the power of unburdening your students in the refocus strategy 

REFOCUS. Acknowledge student differences. 

The striking point for me was to  keep the students interested and concentrated. In addition, maintaining constant self-reflection as an educator is a must.

Definitely having a variety of learning methods whether video, mnemonics for memorization, group activities, etc is important to keep students from getting bored

It is important to keep students interested in coming to class. It is also important to provide a variety of educational learning opportunities

I like REFOCUS which allows the teacher and students reflects on their achievements and refocus on their goals.

As a new teacher I learned a lot about the role of the teacher in this module.  REFOCUS is a highly useful acronym to help inventory your teaching and improve to produce the best outcomes.

Try to keep students engaged by trying different methods of teaching.  Regrouping and trying different approaches can be helpful.

Knowing my subject matter well . Being enthusiastic , and empathetic , have clarity.

I’ve learned discussions can be vital to the learning process. It’s a way to evaluate what the students know and for you as the instructor to gage areas you might need to do more instruction on.

It helps to keep the momentum for students to  have high levels of enthuasiasm.  This brings excitement and positive anticipation.

I previously worked in a High school setting and using the 3x5 cards has helped me in the past with the disruptive students.

This is something I will use now as well.

I intend to engage students with career anecdotes that relate to what the current lesson is. 

An instructor must focus on the students because that is the reason the instructor is there; for the students. This requires paying attention to the classroom environment.

Refocus is a great reminder on how to infuse a renewed and engaging format for the class. 

Sign In to comment