Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping Your Focus on the Students | Origin: ED102

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Student Retention Methods --> Keeping Your Focus on the Students

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Keeping students attention can be accomplished in many different way, such as telling a story as long as you keep it relevant to the topic. Or by spilting them into groups and playing a "crisis" game.

Instructors being enthusiastic about the subject their teaching will transfer to the students. If someone is not passionate about what they are instructing how can anyone else be about learning it. I'll strive to keep that excitement for the subject matter. 

During this section, we discussed how to keep the students focused in class. Taking the time to build a rapport with the students is very important because they will feel comfortable with you and trust you enough to reach out for needing assistance. Sometimes the world of education can be overwhelming and a thankless job. When that happens, you need to take a minute to recharge yourself and refocus yourself. You can do that by reminding yourself of why you are in education and of the many students you have assisted along the way to their ultimate goal of becoming and RN. 

I believe that a particular story matching the topic and showing that you had your trials and tribulations while learning the trade will help to encourage the students to understand that failures are evident and be valuable lessons to being better at your trade.

I also enjoy learning with the students and when asked a question that I don't know the answer to I can demonstrate how we find the answers in the field and then we can share our learning experience.

The role playing of a crisis situation is spot on. Getting mental run-throughs is a great way to feel prepared when a real crisis does arise. Even though its imaginary at first, the students will have real experience in working under perceived pressure. Ive seen this work in many fields. 

SHOWING OUR STUDENTS THAT THE INSTRUCTOR IS REAL AND ALSO HAS FLAWS WILL ADD A PERSONAL FEEL TO THE CLASS.

In this session, I learned how to recharge the students after momentum has slowed down. I also learned how to keep the students engaged and active participants in class.

being more personable to the classroom and you will get better results from the students 

I thought the section about the mid-course "slump" was an important point to consider. I will be aware of the malaise that I or my students may experience and try to plan an activity to have the group reflect on how far they've come in their studies. 

I learned of the importance of nonverbal communication when leading a discussion to encourage engagement. 

Keeping the focus on the students means paying attention to how well they are actually learning, not just whether I have covered all of the material. Every student learns differently, so using a variety of teaching methods such as discussion, demonstrations, hands-on activities, and real-world examples can help keep students engaged and make the information easier to understand and retain.

I intend to apply this by paying closer attention to student participation and understanding throughout each lesson. I want students to feel comfortable asking questions or letting me know when something does not make sense. In a hands-on program, I can also give students opportunities to practice skills instead of only hearing about them in a lecture. Asking for feedback and checking for understanding will help me adjust my teaching when needed and keep the students involved in their own learning.

Learned a new word...Learnativity and it's importance in helping students learn and retain information, developing the working memory.  The 3x5 cards used for receiving feedback from students.

Keeping students actively engaged through enthusiasm and a variety of instructional methods can create a safe and positive learning environment while maintaining their interest. This approach not only facilitates learning for all students but also encourages greater interaction, participation, and overall satisfaction with the course.

I have learned that I could improve how I help build the students working memory. 

Keeping students engaged, focused, and motivated is just as important for yourself as it is for them. Don't strive to be an expert, be a teacher instead.

This statement touched a cord with me: 

When course time is short and learning is proceeding slowly, work on the material that will bring the greatest reward with the least effort. Plan to accomplish first the learning tasks that will bring the highest reward for your students. When you assign the important tasks first, you often motivate them to continue working until even more difficult responsibilities are completed. Triage thinking forces you to make sure that what you are requiring of your students is essential to their career success.

Proper engagement coupled with high enthusiasm can not only help create an environment where students feel safe but also will facilitate the learning of all students. This in turn will improve student interaction and satisfaction of the course. 

I learned that keeping the focus on students requires understanding their individual needs and recognizing that students may learn in different ways. I will apply this by using a variety of instructional methods, building trust and mutual respect, and creating an environment where students feel valued and supported. This will help keep students engaged and give them a better opprortunity to succeed. 

by learning who the student is youre able to cater the learning for them, 

Sign In to comment