Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Avoiding the mid-class slump is crucial. I have employed numerous methods based on enthusiastic tactics and getting a read on students stress levels. I am curious what other instructors have employed to break this slump?

Enthusiasm and pacing go hand in hand to retain students' engagement.

Keep class engaged, motivated and set them up for success.

Using feedback from the students as a tool, is the best way to refocus.

It's important to keep in mind that instructors need to recharge just like students.  Mid-semester is a great time to do so.

I learn or it was confirmed that mid way through a course there can be a slump.  This is a time for me as an instructor to revisit my course objectives and class plan.  See am I on track?  Have I told too many stories that I am now behind?  For upcoming presentations mark where I will insert a story so I stay on track.  Ask the students to do a writing of what they have learned so far.  This will demonstrate that the there information that has been learned.  This is also confirmed when they take ATI tests after subjects learned and pass, knowing the information.  

The discussion on how things can be different halfway through the class was informative. 

surprising the students with some new idea will keep students engaged better in the class.  

I have learned that breaking up the class presentation and add a variety to the course helps students stay focused and engaged.  Also building rapport with students is important for mutual respect.  I would like to  incorporate a mid semester check with the students to see how they are progressing and provide encouragement and variety.

This scission was a great reminder on the importance of properly reaching your audience.  One great way to engage one's class is to tell a story that may help to support class content and to help the students visualize the concept.

Thinking outside the box sometimes is helpful

Burnout for instructor and students is a real thing.  It is important to take time to refresh for you and the student.

Introduce change variety and surprises during the delivery of content to keep the students engaged.

Keeping the students motivated and wanting to learn is key to successful teaching and student retention.

I often struggle to get the students who aren't participating toward the end of the course.  Great information!

Engaging students to tell how their experiences relate to the subject will help ensure interest

refocus was good tool to learn how to keep them focus 

This module highlights a good point about respecting students' individual needs and presenting the learning information with relevancy to their own career and professional goals. 

Get feedback from students about what is working and not working in regards to them connecting with and learning the material.

Coming up with plans to reach out to the students in an effective instructional way at the same time making it fun will keep students focused and interested in what's next to come.

Sign In to comment