Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

students as external customer

Working for an institution, getting to know your students is the most important thing. If you get to know your students, they will feel more comfortable talking to you about everything. I usually call my students or shoot them an email asking how they doing in classes and if they need help with anything.

reward for good customer service

Many employees usually go above and beyond to help out a customer and some of them get recognized for their customer service and get reward. Does rewarding an employee puts pressure on other employees to make them feel like they are inferior to that particular employee?

Proactive vs. Reactive Retention

We've made a considerable effort at our school to change the focus of retention efforts from reactive to proactive. If a student drops out in the 3rd class, it's likely not due to the 3rd class, but to what happened long before. We seek to have our students so incredibly engaged in their program that they can't possibly imagine not persisting to the next class. Our faculty play a huge part in that effort. By positioning our best, most engaging faculty in the early classes, we create a culture of excitement and belonging that assists with retention efforts. I view… >>>

Retention Starts at Orientation

People usually don't focus on retention until the student has already been acclimated and a issue arises. The importance of having retention-related activities during orientation is crucial. Our orientation incorporates bonding activities like bingo (getting to know each other), guess the number of candies in a jar (with your group)and social time when we serve small snacks. However, we lack the continuation of getting students oriented. We need to get out of the mind-set that orientation is just a one day event/program.

Positive Impact

At times providing a positive model and coaching a student toward improving results may overlap an "enabling" mentality. Consistency of delivery throughout a curriculum should build trust and fairness into the structure. Do you believe it is necessary at times to address patterns in behavior? What is the best method if doing so?

Expectations vs Delivery

Can you discuss methods of affecting student outcomes for students that may have high expectations of curriculum and short-term career advancement while delivering inconsistent results?

Negative Attitudes

Besides surrounding each negative people with positive ones, what else can we do? Is there a visual way that we can get students to develop a positive attitude?

Positive Attitude

Why is it so important to instill a positive attitude in your class? A recent study showed that happiness allows for better learing outcomes. Do you agree?

Listening and connecting are important

When you are listening to the student, we must show that we are concerened.

The many different concepts of retention

Everyone must relalize that retention is the responsibility of all school associates.

Late starts

If a student dose not make It to class on the first day as an Instructor you must bring that student up to speed ASAP if you can ask them to stay after class you can make up the first day notes and get them going if you do not you can lose that student very quick .

Stress

Stress is an emotional battle that you can overcome

Doing whatever it takes?????

Do you think its wise to enroll a student if they financially shouldn't be in school? At what point do we advise them to work for a while?

RT-103 job opportunities/placement

Placement and job opportunities are two different things, to my way of thinking - Job opportunities are what may be available to entry level participants coming out of a trade school environment, whereas - placement is something a trade school cannot do?. a trade school can only advise the students where work opportunity is -locally and/or out of the area. in some situations the trade school may be able to make contact with a perspective employer and make an introduction. they cannot place IE: hire the student and expect the employer to accept him/her. the students must pass the interview… >>>

Monitoring

Attention = retention Often time’s students don’t want to reveal personal parts of their lives. How do we give students attention in a way that doesn’t infringe on their personal lives? Please list 3 examples.

RT-103, graduation

I really like the concept of getting underclass students involved in upcoming graduation activities, this to me is the carrot in front of the donkey aspect of things, it can and is very motivational, and plants the seed of success to all involved, great concept.

RT-103 mentoring

Interesting concept: I personally believe that mentoring is only necessary where students are not doing well on their own and require additional assistance, the instructor is in a position to recognize this situation developing and has an obligation to discretely meet with the student's and discuss "what's going on here"?-so to speak. is there something extra curriculer that's bothering the student that may be affecting their performance?. and what can the instructor do to assist in correcting the problem and/or would the student make time and be interested mentoring to correct the situation?.

RT-103 core (traits) COMMONALITIES

upbringing , and maturity level as well as previous real world work experience has a great deal to do with successful retention of a student's core commonalities,(traits) irregardless of the chosen field of service for which they are being trained to pursue. obviously they are there for a reason, possibly - to improve their life,make a better living. succeed at a higher level- whatever. many young folks in today's world are generally not used to being held accountable for their own actions. consequently present-ability, work ethic-such as being on time for work or school, reliability in a general sense, how… >>>

Positive Affect of Longer Admissions Process

I worked at a technical college for many years that had very aggressive admissions processes in place that often put pressure on students to make a decision, enroll and complete financial aid within a two-three hour time frame. The college saw a lot of attrition due to this, often within the first three months of starting. So much so that the school added a metric to Admission's Reps review tracking their performance for "persistence" from the first term to the second, which had no affect as it did not change its actual admissions practices. I have now worked for a… >>>

RT-104 want to - have to

this particular sector having to do with want to have to has opened my thought process considerably in that or by realizing that we do not have to do anything as long as we are willing to accept the consequences, but more than that, it gives the instructor an important tool to use with the students by showing them a way to change there outlook (para-dyne)into how they might perceive a particular situation from a negative outlook to a more positive outlook and by doing this start to enjoy the subject matter and become more positively involved in the training.… >>>