Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

More jobs are available

As an instructor I try to let the students know that there are more jobs available than what grad placement may know about. They should contact employers directly as well in the areas they are hoping to move to.

Students

Be there for them. Have that open door policy at all times.

Help Change!

Have the heart to be that one person to change things around you.

Be the person that you would want to come talk to.

I wish I had some one like me to talk to.

Having An open mind

Have an open mind to all students and there ability to learn.

verbage

Didn't understand the content, i think this was written for BA BS type people, I teach Diesel systems. I have high numbers for assessments and go out of my way to help each and every one of them.

Emotional Intelligence

In a perfect world, following Goldman's EQ in a career school setting is ideal. There is nothing worse than to have a competent instructor that is cynical, and shares his/her cynicism with students. Is there a way in which to salvage that instructor? I haven't found one, and I've had to cut ties as a result of "bad behavior."

Admissions

I work for a technical school and have noticed recently that we have been getting less and less students to sign up for our programs. I know that our admissions team does not campaign in high schools anymore. What other methods can they use to get more students interested in the programs?

RETENTION can equal ATTENTION

While examining this module, I found the phrase ATTENTION equals RETENTION to be utterly true. I work on a campus where I am responsible for retention percentages and I agree, the more we provide attention to our students, the more likely they are to "stick around." On the other hand, when we focus too much on numbers (retention), then we have to work backwards to place more attention on our students to figure out "why" they are dropping out of school hince how RETENTION can equal ATTENTION. Do you currently experience this at your school? What methods seems to work… >>>

Retention

Why is it that so many schools experience a high percentage of drop-outs?

Attention=Retention

I really like the idea of the study the Florida College conducted. It is a really big deal at our schools that it is everyone's job to help with retention but we are always discussing the students who are off track and not the students who are on track. This tends to have negative effects when the students who are on track disappear. I really like the idea of having a group of students for each staff member to go find and talk to, this hits the student body as a whole and gives every student the attention they should… >>>

Graduations

Students do feel important to the school and honored to assist in the graduation preparation. This definitely help in retention of students and they anticipate their when they will walk to receive their diploma or degree.

Customers muct be valued

Must focus on custermer and determine what their needs are

connecting with students

does this method work?

Has this improved the sudden teacher relationship?

I can't wait to apply all this concept to my student!

Positive attitudes need to start from the top

I believe that the idea of negative attitudes is critical in determining the success of a school. It cannot be stated enough how the staff thinks and acts impacts the students and the entire atmosphere. Administrators should recognize how important it is to build a positive cohesive work environment. If we are positive towards each other, it will help everyone create an environment in which students want to be part of. Just as we want to be encouraging to students, administrators should be encouraging and positive towards their employees. When one feels appreciated, respected and valued, it makes a tremendous… >>>

2 week checkup?

Does anyone have a one week or two week check in meeting with their new students as a group to see how they are doing?

Students are external customers

when treating people with kindness you will usually be given returned kindness, and others will be told of helpfullness.

Customer Service

Customer Service Strategies are first impressions,communication skill are very important.

Mystery Shoppers

Mystery shoppers informs companys of better way to service the public.