Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Intervention

I intervene by having the students fill out questionairs each month for classes

How do get faculty to work together, when some just dont want to person refuse

How do you identify and best help an at risk student

How do you encourage students to participate in rention

How can retention be Improved

Awards

At our graduation programs awards are given to a great number of students. It is amazing to see the smiles on thev faces of students many of which have probably never been recognized before. Communication hits the non-graduating bstudents quickly and they want to know how theycan achieve awards as well.

retentsion

So then what is the middle ground, and how many times do you change your plan of action?

Team analysis of student attrition

Discussing each student who "drops out" during a periodic interdepartmental school meeting will help formulate an action plan that may prevent some future attrition. Often students "disappear" and other than the department directly involved, other departments don't really know why. I almost liken this to the post mortem conference at hospitals after they lose a patient. If everyone is to be involved in keeping students in school, everyone needs to be aware of what factors are involved in their decision to leave. Has anyone had any experience doing this?

Retention Can be enhanced with Campus Involvement

We have emplamented a graduation committee in our school. I have great pride in taking to my students that I am trying to get them to this point and that I care about their success. If they know we are working for them, they are proud as well.

Student Involvement: Antidote for Stress

I believe one of the best antidotes for the forms of stress discussed in Topic #2 is student involvement. The sooner the new students become involved in campus life and academic activities, the easier it will be to get over (or avoid altogether) the effects of Academic Erosion. Students are less likely to feel like they are “lost in a crowd” if they quickly become members of organized groups or activities.

Honor Society

At one of our schools we started an honor society which in effect was a service organization. The honor students were obliged to help out in the school. They led study sessions, assisted teachers during heavy activity sessions, Tutored other students were involved in graduation excersise planning and execution. planned birthday parties, school anniversary, and summer picnics. All Honor students also helped to make new students feel welcome and all wore a pin identifying them as honor students. They are recognized at their graduation and can put a note in their resume'

teamwork

Retention is the business of all involved in the academic process. It begins with Admissions, and is then addresses throughout the student's experience all the way through Placement.

Attrition

Attrition is the responsibility of everyone from the administration to the Admissions Dept., Financial Aide, Faculty and all the staff. All departments should work together as a team to help all students to achieve their goal of graduating.

Trying to do the correct thing to prevent a student from dropping out

This has been a great module to learn from

retention is everyone's job every day

retention is everyone's job every day

Plan and stick to it!

It has been said many times that if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. I feel that this also could apply to retention. If there is a plan of action for each student from the time of arrival, and clear roles have been established for each person involved in the plan, adhering to that plan should make the student feel at ease with discussing anything.

Being straightforward is an excellent policy

I think that being realistic and straightforward with students will help them respect and trust you. I have been fortunate to deal with people in different situations, (teaching, athletic coaching, corporate industry), and each time the common link to trust and respect is honesty and realism. The answers may not be what you hope they would be, but having an understanding of behaviors and thinking patterns may lead to changes and better outcomes.

Student Mentors helping to cope

At our school, we have a student mentoring program. I feel that this program is the first step in keeping the students we have and improving current retention rates. All others involved in the education experience should also play a part in this effort, so we all need to step up our efforts to make sure that we understand the students' problems. How do we stress the importance of retention to the student mentors? Any thoughts?