Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The many different concepts of retention

Everyone must relalize that retention is the responsibility of all school associates.

Primarily retention begins in the classroom, however the expectations created in the enrolling student must be met in the classroom. If expectations are created by admissions that cannot be met in the classroom the student will often become dis-satisfied and leave school.

Good point, Robert. Any thoughts of how to avoid that situation?

Be very much aware what is being told students in the admission process. Simple second interview will often uncover problems.

I agree Robert, I have come in contact with this issue many times during Academic Advising and in the classroom setting. To attempt to combat this issue I ask to meet with new students so they can understand the expectation of the school and the classroom with no surprises. At that point the students have the opportunity to make an informed decision prior to formally enrolling in the program. The students are also given a realistic sense of help to make the learning process a collaborative effort.

Good counsel. Who conducts the second interview and what happens when problems are uncovered, Robert?

Nicely done, Keveka. What is being done to avoid pre-enrollment misunderstandings?

Typically second interviews are conducted by my DOA. When problems are encountered they are addressed with individual admissions representative or the entire team.

we ask all or employees to talk to students and stay in touch with how their doing

I believe that Robert said it best. The expectation that the student has, no matter if it is their own preconceived expectation or one that was created by Admissions to motivate the student to better their life through education, is a key to their success and satisfaction. I heard once that the vision (expectation) the student has must be what the school is providing or they will be a drop. We must find ways to uncover those hidden expectations. Is this as simple as asking the student what their expectations are during enrollment or orientation?

I would say that asking certainly is a place to start, Jan. However, many students don't know what they don't know and this presents an opportunity for the institution to shape realistic expectations, starting in admissions and running through placement.

One of our more successful tactics is having employed graduates speak to our entry and mid level students. This helps to reaffirm in their initial goals.

Indeed this can be very powerful, David. How do you select the graduates to speak in class? Do you find that recent grads are more or less effective than those who have been working for a longer period of time? Does age make any difference?

Sign In to comment