Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

TR-104, tell tell,tell.

I like the concept that students remember most at the beginning of a session, and at the end of the session, and only seem to be interested in humor about the subject matter in the middle of a session. as a result of this knowledge I have implemented a change in my normal routine. I am still experimenting with this adjustment in routine. I do like the repleteness of touching on key comments in a lecture, this seems to work very well for my students, judging from results on quiz questions presented during follow up at the end of the… >>>

RT-104 HABES

H- habits can be changed only if the individual make the effort to do so, this is also true with attitudes, note: attitudes are catching- meaning that a class and / or an individual can be truly influenced by a good attitude- IE: a desire to emulate and succeed out of respect for the instructor and/ or other students. whereas they can also be influenced negatively by a bad attitude, IE: disrespect, too cavalier about important subject matter. then comes the Belief factor, IE: believe in yourself, do not become discouraged, avoid stress or frustration, stay focused. don't loose sight… >>>

RT-104 - model, mentor, monitering

I like the idea of this course and how it seems to be laid out, especially recognizing how caring for the student's interests, personally as well as professionally come into play. accountability seems to be the key to keeping the student totally involved and wanting to succeed in the program. of course these are just my preliminary thoughts, I am looking forward to getting more into the course before I can comment further.

Keeping Students in class.

I find that students who want to go home the problem is not school, Its something out side, so if the Instructor can talk to them you can save them but you have to care, and thy know and they respond.

the orientation is important

we must know the more important thing about the student, for example: Affairs, 2- Education, 3- Business Office, 4- Financial Aid ... all departments demonstrate that we support each other and our students.

the students

I agree that giving the students the top of differents professions

the first week is the most important

I agree that classmate games, are not only things that should be implemented into the first week, but also into the weeks to come. for example personal's presentations

The" random question " factor.

At least twice a class I will ask my students a completely random off topic question. I use this to challenge there knowledge, to help shift their gears, to push them through a mind numb state.

Can you recall your first "Mentor"?

If I think back, I can recall my first mentor, Mr. Emmi. High school wood shop teacher. He showed me that life has many paths and all I had to do was walk my own. That small conversation stuck with me and his style of instructing has shaped mine.

First-week Program

I agree that classmate bonding, food, games, employer presentations, are not only things that should be implemented into the first week, but also into the weeks to come. With this generation "fun" is added into the value part of the equation. Students now want to be entertained on some level at some point during their education. It is best used a stress reviler and "prize" for hard work.

Should faculty ever talk about things not related to class?

"Faculty play an extremely important role in retention and students are typically very intimated by them, especially early in their classroom experience. Having faculty communicate things that make them 'real' and affirm to students that they are people as well as professionals, will significantly help retention efforts." I related to this insight. There is a fine line between faculty, mentor, and friend. Being a mentor puts you in the position between the two, but makes the students relate to you and come to you with any needs or concerns.

Progressive Orientation

I think the idea "where students, either as individuals or in groups, travel from department to department to gather the important information," is great. It helps break down the walls of fear by helping students get to know the school, departments, and faculty before the first day of school.

Classmates are 'smarter'

Being a recent graduate I can say this was one of my fears on the first day of school. The way to diffuse this is by group activities, both social and academic related.

Student Track Record

I think it is also very beneficial to look close at the student's track record - does s/he have a history of completing courses or of dropping out. If the latter, what needs to be done - by the student, by the student's family, by the school - to ensure that there is completion this time?

Retention

Where do I begin?

Intervention

What are top key indicators of behavior to notice when to intervene.?

Helping students cope

Where does the fear factor start creeping into academics..

Motvation

How much is motivation related to retention?

Classmates

We do an amazingly good job of following the steps in this module as a team within the school. We have very high retention for this reason. (We want it higher, of course) Where we struggle at times is making sure that a student's classmates do not become too strong of a influence in helping that student to not succeed. The sometimes this can happen because a "click" or an individual with a strong personality has a life experience that tearing someone else down will build them up! (This of course is not true.) How do you suggest helping students… >>>

Do you think mystery shoppers could be a negative approach?

I am curious what is everyone's thoughts on mystery shoppers? Do you think the mystery shopper should be a subject matter expect in the coursers or field they are posing to be a perspective student in?