Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Retention

Retention really is everyones job. The school has to be committed across the board in order to be successful. Training for the staff is also necessary.

Activities

I know that students don't always want to be "partying" in school, but I believe sometimes a break with fun activities is helpful for morale and gives the student a break to possibly prevent academic erosion.

School enviroment

The enviroment in the school is a very important factor in retention. Many times student don't feel they can ask anyone for help. This leads them to not seeking any help till it is too late. They must feel like the school is there for them.

I love orientation

I believe a well planned orientation is a great start to a program. I believe the staff should be enthusiatic about the students who have made it to the program and continue to grow on that bond. I believe that it is very important to make sure all questions are answered (somewhat)during orientation. So the agenda should be thorough.

Surveys

All these suggestions look good in theory but in practice they are not as cut and dried. Some of these students are facing incredible circumstances and getting them to open up can require more than a survey.

Admissions

I am so very lucky to work with a group of admissions personnel. I believe they always have the interest of the facility in mind when selecting candidates, however I believe that it is still a very difficult task, because potential students are fulfilling a dream and may say what they believe the admission personnel want to hear, in order to fulfill their dream.

Stress

It is important to understand where the students are on GAS. A good rapport is necessary in order to help them get through or at least manage their stress better.

Never understood Atrition as I do now.

Such basic information can be so helpful. I thought I understood attrition but now I know. I am going to be a better listerner/supporter for my students.

The importance of retention

This is a very important subject. I am excited to have a better understanding of retention, I didnt have such a clear understanding and now I do. I am anxious to attend our weekly meeting.

Better understanding of Retention

I felt the way the module introduced Retention, I felt we had to make the numbers. I now have a better understanding of how retention works and how to utilize our facility's tools. I am excited to go to our weekly retention meeting and and discuss some of the issues addressed in this module/training.

Late students

How important is it for late enrollments to get orientation information?

Students expectations.

Students really care how qualified Faculty are.

Orientation is a serious matter.

Did we follow those steps during our orientation day talking about our History , size , Accreditation , Uniqueness and Results?

Students expections

Students most of the time expect that their Instructors will be qualified and knowledgeable in their content area. We understand that, some time the instructor can be qualified but what will happen if they do not prepare the class.? As a faculty member how you can handle that case.

Integrated Career Services Affects Retention]

the student service need to mentor student as many times needed

School Involvement Affects Retention

every one need to be involved on our students activities to help have a better retention

Orientation and Mentoring Affects Retention

Can all students be in the same orientation even if they are enrolling for different programs.

RETENTION STARTS AT ADMISSIONS

THE MOST IMPORTANT TIME FOT A PROSPECT IS AT THEIR ADMISSIONS APPT

mystery shoppers

I used to work for retail and we had to score 85% or above on the mystery shop. If you fail a mystery shop three times in a row, you will get fired. I thought you guys might be interested so I just wanted to share this.

internal customers

Internal customers are the backbone of an organization. Without a good and effective internal supports an organization will not succeed. There has to be a link that connects all departments in an organization together. Members of different departments need to communicate to each other to have an understanding of what is happening in each department. This is why knowing your co-workers is very important.