Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Negative Attitudes

Besides surrounding each negative people with positive ones, what else can we do? Is there a visual way that we can get students to develop a positive attitude?

John,

Your posture and body language can help here. A smile, a peppy step ....

Jeffrey Schillinger

I talk to students to find out what is feeding the bad attitude. work, family, medical or school . Most of the time it stress. When you know what the issues are how you can find a way to help.

Glenda,

Helping students deal with stress is a key part of what we do.

Jeffrey Schillinger

One of the ways I try to keep a positive environment is by watching what I say. Our school has been going through many changes and it is easy for us as staff and faculty to make comparisons to how thing used to be. When I listen to others, I hear the negative connotations/inflections in their words. This makes me realize how easily an innocent comment about a curriculum change, or new process can impress new students. By choosing positive words instead of negative ones, we make it clear that we are being progressive and staying fresh.

We become what we believe, so if we believe all the negativity=y around us that is what we become conversely if we surround ourselves with positive people we can become that as well.

Personal issues lead to negative attitude in class more often than not where I am. Most of my students that are very negative day in and out are usually dealing with a very stressful issue at home. They are often ok with school, but they will sometimes blame school for being the reason they're stressed, if it were not for school, they would not have the problem. That might be right but the reason they're in school is to improve their place in life. Often they lose sight of that goal and become discouraged. It is important to have someone on staff that is able to coach students when personal issues are identified and help the student to find a way to make things work.

Sign In to comment