Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Retention

I find that if I group my new students with some existing students and I assign group work, I have found a higher retention rate among both the new students and the existing students.  I am creating an immediate need for the new students.  They are part of the team and they want to succeed and they want their group to succeed.  Part of the group work requirement is insure that all team mates are present to get full credit on the assignment.  The team leaders  meet with their group and keep me informed of the group participation and alert… >>>

Open Discussion

Being a new instructor for theory and simulation has brought much joy, excitement and contentment all bundled together; to share many years of experience with students is beyond words. It has also brought challenges that I could use some input to help resolve.  When asked students what part of their clinical experience/s was most helpful to obtaining knowledge beyond the classroom, the response I received from two (2) students was that they would pass on discussion, meaning they did not want to discuss their clinical experiences or what part of those experiences touched them personally in building upon their new-learning practice?  When I… >>>

Customer Service: Whole student concept

Customer Service is more than listening to and answering questions.  You need to be observant of changes in the student while your communicating: face-to-face, telephone, email or text.  Initiate the conversation when you see them walking down the hall looking tired or like they slept in their clothing.  If they're venting close to you - take them aside and ask what's wrong.  Watch for their cry for help.  Reach out if they're absent.  Ask their peers if they've heard from them lately.  If they confide in you, ask if you can try to get them help.  Pride is difficult obsticle for most students.  No… >>>

thank you

thank you

ever felt like not being at your best when attending a "client?

customer service

retention

With a a large rural area it is sometimes a bigger challenge to retain students

What are your engagement strategies?

I am welcome to any and all suggestions! 

Waht are your retention/engagement strategies

We try to make contact with every student every day. Campus activities and converastions

Fantastic Course

Leaning the different methods of student retention was informative and interesting!

Great Training

Very good CEE. I would strongly recommend it to all faculty and staff!

Hard to decide

Many times I find it hard to engage a student when their desire is with another career focus and this was option 2 and not the primary focus. Therefore, retention has seemed to be a problem no matter  how hard you try to keep them.

People who hate math

I have trouble convincing people who hate math to engage and believe in themselves.  They eventually stop coming to class and fail.  What should I do to build confidence

Student retention

At what point do you make a decision that at the career college level a student is not in the right field even though they can pass the class?

late starts

Student that start late have to be treated very gentle. I have learned that when they start late it increases their chance of dropping since they feel left behind. It is important for all staff to assist the student in this matter to ensure the students overall success.

fear of enrolling

One of the major reasons I have heard students state why they dont enroll is thier ability to keep up since many have been out of school for a long time. While that may be true, its up to the admissions team to assure them that there are many which are in their same position ,and while the orientation process is being administered, give these individuals an opportunity to link up with others alike , which can decrease the fear thresh hold.

Mentoring

Mentoring is absolutely a great way to keep students on track. According to the lesson, and I agree, mentoring needs to be done by those who are great students and enthusiastic about the program--those who are already successful and understand the time management portion of this 'college' learning life.

Customer service vs. cost

There are 2 grocery stores near my house, which are across the street from each other. Kroger has excellent quality at discounted prices. Publix has excellent quality at slightly higher prices. Why does my wife prefer to shop at Publix? The reason is that Publix offers great customer service. There is a miniature kitchen set up where customers can sample a small portion of a dinner in order to get different cooking ideas. Employees also take groceries to the car for the customer.

Admissions team

I can't wait to pass along this course to our admissions team.  I think they would benefit from this!

Viewing the Student as a Customer

WOW!

It was so interesting for me to view my students as my customer!  I have always thought of them as someone who HAD to be in school and that I was doing them a "favor" (not providing a "service").
It makes total sense that if I change how I percieve them, it wil in turn change how I treat them.

Most of our students are paying alot of money to be in school and I should view my roll as the reason.

Very enlightening!

How Long Did It Take You to Complete Your Course?

It took me about 5 to 6 hours and I read every single word!