Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Giving Constructive Feedback

What process do you follow when giving feedback to an employee regarding a task, responsibility or issue, and where are the pitfalls that contribute to communication breakdown during a feedback encounter?

Listening Course

This course was very interesting and I learned some things that was important to me. Sometimes I make the mistake of trying to solve my students problems or thinking for them, I now understand that this is one thing I should avoid to become a better listener.

Writing

Writing is the primary basis upon which your work, your learning, and your intellect will be judged—in school, in the workplace, and in the community.

HEAR WHAT'S BEING SIAD

PAY ATTENTION TO WHO EVER IS SPEAKING, WAIT TILL IT IS A GOOD TIME TO INTERJECT. THEN ADD TO THE CONVERSATION OR ASK FOR CLARIFACATION.

NON VERBAL COMMUNICATION

I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT I HAVE A HARD TO INTERPET LOOK & PEOPLE DON'T KNOW HOW TO READ ME. FROM MY POINT OF VEIW THEY SHOULD BE LISTONING TO WHAT I'M SAYING NOT THE WAY I LOOK AS I'M SAYING IT.

Being Present

At our school, the students have Present-Centered Awareness (PCA) classes. This helps increase their sensitivity to themselves and others. In Admissions, we set the stage by practicing this during the process.

Taking the time

One of the largest challenges, for me at any rate, is finding the time to sit down and plan out the meeting itself. Holding the meeting is usually not the problem but I think I could get more done if there was time for proper preperation before hand. Having an outline of how to create a meeting will go a long way in helping to generate more effective meetings.

communication

the use of power point during a lecture helps me communicate easier

evaluating

what is the best way of evaluating the effectiveness of your presentation ?

Low expectations

What can one donas an employeeto increase or deal with expectations from higher up corporate staff ?

Hidden Agendas

I believe that hidden agendas do ruin what’s planned to be a successful meeting. Meetings should be well planned and organized, but from time to time the person conducting the meeting looses the reigns due to hidden agenda topics that want to be discussed by other people attending the meeting. This training is definitely going to be a useful tool.

The Encrypted Cultural Language of a Meeting

One of the challenges that I find from time to time is the need of leaders of an organization to word the messages of a meeting in such a politically correct manner for concerns such as being perceived as displaying behaviors less than at the heights level of a professional. I often wonder if this form of communication prevents others from giving their input or even participation at all. I’m not saying that there isn’t value or that it’s not important in presetting yourself as best as possible because there is, but there is also something to be said about… >>>

topic

concise and to the point

Tone?

Does tone matter when communicating via e-mail or verbal?

Variety in Writing

Hello, It is important that students practice writing for different situations and audiences. Today's students do plenty of informal writing in their emails, blogs, and web pages.

Providing Productive Feedback

I have found that I try to use the old sandwich technique for feedback. I want to tell the student what they did well, what they did okay that needs improving or what needs to be prsent in the assignment next time, followed by some positive and encouraging summary feedback. I always provide feedback in a timely manner so the student has the information before their next assignment is due. I also try to provide resources for areas that need improvement such as avoiding plagiarism. I am curious to know what other techniques you may use when giving feedback.

Providing Feedback at Work

I am an instructor at a technical college, and I never really thought of my feedback to students in the same vein as feedback from my employer at work. We all know how important feedback every week is to our students, and we should give praise as well as areas needing improvement - but I think most supervisors fail to give timely feedback. It always seemed awkward to me to get an "annual evaluation" and things would come up that never were mentioned in the previous year. So I think we can apply our excellent feedback skills from the classroom… >>>

Defensive Listening

I notice this more often than anything else. I have employees that you can see are doing this and before you can even finish speaking are already snapping back. So you know they didn't get anything from your discussion

Good topic

This is a great topic for overcoming talking in front of a group of people when you're not comfortable with it.

email

Emails can be a great way to communitcate for a quick response