Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

TV Interviews

While TV interviews can be stressful, it always helps to be well prepared.

Hiding Stress

Hello, This was a good overview of nonverbal communication. An area that I have personally had to work to overcoming is hiding stress at work. During extreme times of stress I have found that I can give the impression that I'm too busy to be approached. As a manager, that can be very frustrating for employees. I have learned the importance of managing stress and continually being aware of how I am presenting myself so that stress isn't misperceived as stand off-ish. As I have become more aware of this, I have found it's easier to manage and have seen… >>>

Constructive Criticism

Hello, I thought this was a good overview on how to speak with employees in a way that can motivate, encourage and help the indivdual to grow. What I have also found to be effective when speaking with individuals is to have them give their own critique on the situation first. I work in a phone-sales position and when I sit with employees to discuss a call, I will often ask how they felt it went before giving my feedback. I have found that almost always the individual is directly on point with areas of improvement and I act more… >>>

Meetings- too often and too long

Hello, One of the biggest challenges our department faces is the abundance of meetings that we are asked to attend on a daily basis. With a department of 27, this was indeed a "conference" that was being held on a weekly basis and the meetings were often very long with standing room only. To help keep this problem to a minimum, we have department meetings only as needed and usually try to split the meetings up by team so there is an opportunity for everyone to speak if needed. We have found this to be much more effective due to… >>>

Overcoming Stage Fright

This was a great overview of presenting in front of a group. While I wouldn't choose death over giving a presentation, I would agree that it's not one of my favorite things to do. I think preparation has been one of the most effective steps I have taken and continue to take when having to give a presentation. If I know I am well prepared and know the material well, I may still be nervous but can often hide it a little bit easier.

Bullet Points

Hello! With the abundance of emails that are sent out every day in our organization, I have found bullet points to be the most effective. We have noticed that because emails are sent so frequently, employees have a tendency to skim emails instead of ready through them. I thought this section provided some great ideas on how to be the most effective in written communication.

Videos

Videos are a useful technique for training, butas the test reveals, they don't always adress the topic in the most relevant way or hit in the most concentrated way.

Effective Communication

Good communication is a major area of opportunity in the department where I work. We spend so much time sending emails and holding meetings that I believe we often overcommunicate instead of effectively communicating. What that has led to is employees deleting emails before reading them and a lack of interest in attending meetings. Moving forward, I think it's important to have more of a game plan on how to effectively communicate with the team during meetings and keeping emails down to a minimum.

Managing

How can an employee learn a manager is always busy and response is very short whenever he or she answers?

Reading Nonverbal Communication

Reading an applicate nonverbal communication can tell you if you want to hire a canidate.

Using a Journal to Help Improve Writing Skills

Good writing skills are crucial in the school, the business world, and everyday life. I encourage my students to keep a journal to help improve their writing skills. I have them write in their journal 3-5 times a week. It is a great way to revisit your writing to see where your weaknesses or strengths are, get ideas for papers, or help see what is going on in your life. Also, anytime you are doing some form of consistent writing like this, it will help keep your writing skills sharp. Many people feel they cannot write at all, but they… >>>

Death By Powerpoint

One of my pet peeves is when students and business professionals use power point as a crutch. It is not very engaging when a person simply reads off their slides. I believe we have become too dependent on power point. Here is a great funny clip that you can show students to help them understand common power point mistakes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp8dugDbf4w

Conference Calls

I'd be interested to hear the group's thoughts on utilizing these tips for conference calls. The majority of the meetings I arrange or attend are generally via webinar or conference call. What are some suggestions on how to make this type of meeting worth while?

Communicating With Email

Since email is such an essential form of communication in business, why is it often used incorrectly?

Leadership Communication

As a leader, what do you find is your greatest barrier to successful communication with your group?

Multiple / Too Long of Meetings

I have observed that if there are too many or to long of meetings, attendees become less focused. Many times participants are working on other things, or trying to plan a schedule to accomplish tasks missed because time is being used for meetings. I n order to keep meetings effective brief to the point agendas are required. Meetings should start and end at the schedule times. have observed tht if there are to many or to long of meetings, attendees become less focused. Many times participants are working on other things, or trying to plan a schedule to accoplish tasks… >>>

A genuine interest and care in the prospect

I feel that a key ingredient in excellent listening is having a genuine interest in what your prospect is trying to convey to you. It is critical to the prospect that we truly do care about them and that they know this. It will make it that much easier to peel the layers to get to the real source of the pain. In other words, because they trust you, their defense mechanisms are down.

Communication

Teaching in an Online setting can be very challenging when communicating to the students. Some students do not attend the Live Chat sessions or even listen to the recorded archive of the session and thus miss out on the information for their task. But, if the college does not enforce or require the students to attend, this causes a lower percentage of the students to not listen to the archived version. If we are to communicate effectively to our students, then the Colleges need to enforce that somehow with the students enrolled in the course.

Identifying Difficult Interactions

What identifiers do you look for to determine a potentially difficult interaction with a peer, manager or direct report?

Dealing with Difficult Interactions

How do you handle difficult interactions with others in the workplace? Do you follow a process? If so, what are the steps and have they been effective?