Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Patience

The best way to listen is to have the patience to let the speaker get there point across.

I agree, let them speak.

I agree that you need to have the speaker get his or her point across.

Patience is the one virtue that can put the speaker
at ease,keep you focused,and help you become a good listener.It takes practice.

I agree with this

I agree! With others waiting for you, the phone ringing, etc., etc., it can be difficult to put the "world on hold" in order to listen to an employee. However, you always get a positive return on the time spent!

It can be a challenge to listen, especially to a student or colleague, without giving advice. Active listening is a great way to restate their issue, let them know they were heard, then further ask them questions so they come to their own conclusion.
It truly can build a relationship

Johnny, good point!
Often times we are already thinking about what we can add to the conversation instead of really listening. Patience is so important!

Janis

We're often in such a hurry that we want to cut to the chase. This gives the perception to the speaker that what they are feeling and what they have to say is not important enough for your full attention.

I've always found that not giving advice is one of the hardest aspects of talking with others. It seems that they should want their problem "solved" when they really just want to be heard.

Sign In to comment