Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Body Language

what you say is not as important as how it is said.

I believe you can say anything negative or positive and get the response you are looking for based solely on how you present it. This is something I regularly work on with my admissions staff. You can say the same thing 3 different ways to the same person and get 3 entirely different responses.

You can say anything...it's the tone, body language, and facial expression that makes it true or false.

You can say anything and body language will get you the different response from people.

I think both are important.

Body language is usually read no matter what words are being said.Passion,anger,and joy can't be hidden
with words.

This is why I hate e-mail. You have no idea
of the spirit it was sent in, and they are
usually breif and to the point, which in normal
speech could be considered rude or abrupt depending on the tone and body language.
Without the non-verbal communication it is easy
to take e-mails the wrong way.

I agree; also since being on Facebook with my relatives, there have been things posted that have offended me, and things I have posted that have offended others. Also too easy to take the wrong way.

Actually it is important. The way we say things is esential and does make sense at all times

I agree with you it deos happen sometimes

That is exactly right, however we as educators should be able to hold our emotions in the work place. It is hard to do it, but it is not imposible.

I think social media and texting have impacted communication in a negative way. It's too easy to put a smiley face or winking eye after an underhanded or off color comment.

You are correct. I could be telling someone to "have a nice day", but if my teeth are clenched and so are my hands, the customer will not hear a word I said. Instead, they will be wondering when I will explode.

Body language gives so many people away, whether faculty or students. For the message to be clear and concise, body language must emulate what is being shared, especially if there is a negative connotation involved. It is not to shut yourself or the other party involved down, but opening yourself for further communication. Being aware of how you stand, as well as eye communication (depending upon the culture) is key. When the message is sent, and the receiver acknowledges the message, then you know that there was successful interaction.

and your body presentation

Yes it is important and I dislike email also.

It is helpful to know body language in all areas of communication

Email and texting can be misconstrued simply because it is hard to convey nuance or to empasize key points through body language.

I agree nuances are difficult to convey in electronic communication.

Good points all around to remember! Thanks.

Sign In to comment