Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

The Savvy Negotiator

Though you may not negotiate a major business deal every day, what types of negotiation skills become important to leading employees and managing daily operations?

It’s All About Relationship!

Bottom line, how do you maintain a positive negotiating relationship with others?

The Effective Presenter

What do you believe are the top three or four things to remember when preparing and delivering an effective presentation?

Customizing Your Presentation

What is the best way to customize a presentation to your audience?

The Skilled Persuader

How do you build your own credibility when interacting with others?

Overcoming Resistance

When trying to persuade others, what are some specific ways that you overcome resistance to your ideas?

The Capable Coach

What is the difference between coaching an employee and managing an employee?

The Coaching Process

What process do you follow in preparing and leading a coaching session with an employee? What communication skills do you believe are the most important to the coaching process? Why?

Presentations

If your are using visuals or presentation software, do not clutter up the media. If your visuals are too busy, you will lose the audience as they will be trying take in all the extra information.

Feedback for online students

Hi, My name is Linda and I am an online college instructor. My students are given topics to address within the forum and some writing assignments. I find it effective to be specific in clearly articulating what students have done well and how they can improve. It doesn't work well to simply state: "Nice work", The student needs to know what they have done well and how they can improve. Thanks, Linda

Setting Workplace Priorities

What guidelines or parameters do you utilize for setting your workplace task priorities?

Establishing Expectations with your Manager

How do you go about establishing mutual expectations with your own manager?

communication

Clear and precise communication is the most effective form of talking. We have to communicate verbally as well as non-verbally to be successfull in our jobs and our lives.

Clarifying Feedback

The tutorial stated that the feedback receiver should discover specific things that one needs to change. Is it fair to extrapolate from that, then, that it is the feedback giver's responsibility to assist the receiver in discovering those specifics?

How can I relax when constructive critisism is given?

What if the manager giving the constructive critisism does not have the right facts, and you are being mis judged, how can I approach this situation?

Confirming in What I Already Know

One little point really stood out in my reading, and that is that good listening really DOES take energy. We have to focus and respond.

Feedback for Tutoring With Students

I work as a tutor for several classes at the 2-4 year college where I work. When I work with a student I prefer to use the elaborative style of feedback. I feel it helps the student to not only to receive a positive or negative feed back but helps to explain why that answer is so which provide details that may help for future memory. Sometimes when I use this type of feedback with incorrect answers, the students will understand the mistake from the helpful information I try to provide and evetually are able to determine the correct answer… >>>

Communication

This is the one way to bring all people in a unit into the fold and make them feel a part of the organization.

Five Types Of Feedback

I'm an instructor at a two year technical college and was motivated by the tutorial to do research on the finer details of feedback. One item I found that was helpful was the five types of feedback listed by Fleming and Levie in their textbook [ISBN 0877782539]. You can find more information in the Feedback listing of Wikipedia.org

Communicating with students...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep a class focused in a particuoar subject?