Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Giving Constructive Feedback

What process do you follow when giving feedback to an employee regarding a task, responsibility or issue, and where are the pitfalls that contribute to communication breakdown during a feedback encounter?

The process usually depends on whether the feedback is immediate, such as praise for doing a task well, or constructive feedback that usually needs a private setting and a little bit more time & effort involved on my part. I like to keep a list of the points I want to cover, particularly if I know the person is going to get defensive. The list helps me because it helps me remember to point out something that went well for the person before I address what can be changed and how.

ANY TIME THAT I GIVE FEEDBACK I MAKE SURE TO STAY ON TARGET WITH THE GOAL. THE GOAL IS TO ADDRESS ONE ISSUE AND THAT ISSUE ONLY,GOOD OR BAD. ONE OF THE PITFALLS IS TO ALLOW SOMEONE TO CONTROL YOUR FEEDBACK SESSION BY ALLOWING SOMEONE TO REBUT ANY COMMENT YOU HAVE. I POLITELY STEER THE RECIPIENT BACK ON TRACK TO THE POINT OF THE ORIGINAL DISCUSSION. THIS IS NOT THE TIME FOR EXCUSSES BUT A TIME FOR FACTS. I MAKE SURE I HAVE ALL THE INFORMATION AND THEN MAKE IT CLEAR WHAT DIRECTON AND WHAT RESULT IS NEEDED IN THE FUTURE.

First, I decide if more facts must be gathered to get the most amount of reasonable information necessary to make a decision on how to handle the situation. Then, I make a decision on when and how to give the feedback. I try to stick with the plan, and listen carefully to the other person’s point of view. I decide if I should change my feedback plan based on the response I received. Last, I look for a response of commitment to change, gratitude, or appreciation from the subject of the feedback, depending on the situation. The response is important, because it gives me insight on how the feedback was received.

Communication is always subject to breakdowns. There is always; what you said, what you wanted to say, what the other person heard you say, how the other person interpreted what you said, etc. I find non verbal communication such as body language and tone of voice is essential in communication. Unfortunately, I struggle with non-verbal communication problems.

I would seek to understand first, do I have all the information needed to make a judgment? Then, I would choose a meeting place, considering the person I’ll be meeting with. This might be a formal or rather informal setting. Next, I’d refer to notes created while preparing for the meeting.
Pitfalls include not having all the facts, making assumptions, and using poor communication skills or techniques.

When giving contructive feedback I always ensure I have scheduled adequate time in a appropriate setting, usually a private office. I make every effort to gather factual evidence to support the need for corrective behaviour, and prepare myself for any expected feedback from the reciever. A common pitfall is allowing the topic to drift from the original issue or task, diluting my message.To avoid this I make a bullet list of key points to use as a compass to guide the discussion.

Hi Charles! Thanks for your comments! It is so good to see a fellow professional actually use a process when providing feedback - and to your point, the first step is to choose the best time and place. So often feedback is not well received because it's given at a time or in a place that is not conducive to the message.

Jay Hollowell
ML120 Facilitator

As an instructor, I typically give feedback immediately. Unless it's reoccuring personality traits, which I'll usually address privately after class. Students will often take things defensively.

Hi Wing! Thanks for your comments. I agree, immediate feedback is the most effective as long as it is at the best time and place. I always start, of course, with something positive if the feedback regards a challenge that needs to be addressed.

Jay Hollowell
ML120 Facilitator

When I give feedback to an employee I will always ensure the feedback session is short and precise with the issue at hand. I will always end the session on a positive note even if it is a corrective action feedback session. I find the communication breakdown is sometimes caused by the employee either not taking any responsibility or not taking any ownership for the issue. In my organization I work with a very dynamic group of individuals who respond very well to feedback sessions.

I focus upon praise and excitement about meeting goals and successes of my team often. I tell them how much I appreciate each of them often.

Regarding constructive feedback, I usually give positives first and then focus upon improvements. I am careful and more soft about my approaches though. I usually gauge the personalities of my employees before I speak with them so I can know how to approach them concerning negative issues. Usually, I feel I do well with being aware of reactions prior to providing feedback.

I am a firm believer in doing your homework and avoiding unnecessary surprises. I have the facts in hand and go over my strategy for where, when and how the meeting will take place. I like some of the suggestions in the course about rehearsing potential outcomes and creating contingency plans in advance. No surprises is an important take away here.

Charles

Good notes prior to the event is a very critical step in my world-view.

John

I like to use a two-approach method when providing feedback. I schedule a meeting for a discussion and have a written agenda about the topics that are to be discussed. I also follow-up with a quick email, thanking the individual for their time, attach a brief summary of the purpose of the feedback and identify any objectives (if necessary) going forward. This style also works well with students.

I most definitely agree with this. As a digital photography instructor, feedback i give can be both immediate and concrete. That at least covers the technical aspects. Stylistic feedback, though, can be much more subjective, so I concentrate current industry trends as well as specific examples from the past. It's still tough to keep subjectivity out altogether. But, like you said, there's a tendency for many students to react defensively to either personality or performance concerns. I just try to be as prepared as possible beforehand with as much research into the student's situation, style, etc. as I can.

I always make sure to document any problems that I'd like to address, so that I have some concrete "proof" to support my claims. As an adjunct instructor, I am not currently in a supervisory position. In the past, however, I have held positions in which I supervised others, and have found that defensiveness on the part of the employee is a major contributor in "communication breakdown". It's difficult to have an objective, productive conversation regarding someone's strengths and weaknesses, when that person interprets the feedback as a personal attack on his/her character.

Dr. Read:

I send the document and/or observation information when setting up a time to provide feedback to a fellow employee.

Since I work 100% from home and work for an Online school, pitfalls that contribute to communication breakdown include:

1)Communication is either sent via e-mail or via a phone call.

2)When communication is sent via e-mail, breakdowns can occur when what is intended is not what is received by the end user

I always send a document to use to discuss during the time that is set up and confirmed by both myself and an employee that directly reports to me.

The document lays out everything that will be discussed during the phone call and actively listen to employee response during the scheduled call.

Kim

I concur. I believe that constructive feedback is essential for success.

When I give feedback to an employee, I make sure that I have researched the issue and have all the facts ready. I then schedule a bit of time and have a private conversation with the individual so that they do not become embarrased. I make sure that I have enough time to allow for their responses.

Hi Christine! Also a good point! When we are not prepared in advance for providing constructive feedback, I think we base our comments more on reactions than observations.

Jay Hollowell
ML120 Facilitator

Sign In to comment