Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

writting made easy

i think everybody should write so that its understandable for others to read

Focus on Specific Actions

In coaching and developing employees' capabilities, I've found that focusing specifically on actions creates a more rewarding coaching experience, for both manager and employee. It's very easy to fall into the trap of coaching whenever performance problems are noticed, thereby allowing emotions to dictate thoughts and reactions. In this manner, leaders sometimes relate actions to personality traits, rather than referring to the specifically-observed behaviors. While coaching is more effective in a timely manner (rather than waiting a few months after the observation), effective coaching requires a focus on behaviors, not necessarily traits.

Positive praise

Being an instructor of both traditional face-to-face courses as well as an online instructor, constructive feedback is necessary, if not vital. From the course, I appreciate the correlation of feedback of colleagues as well as students. I also appreciate the discussion of providing positive feedback. The point about issuing praise carefully is something I do not think about as much as a I should. Ensuring that praise is presented in the proper fashion makes sure that the student (or recipient) will benefit from the praise.

E-mails

when I write e-mails to my co-workers I notice they don't respond as quick I will like. How can I make my Emails more interesting to the readers?

Good reminders

This lesson reminded me of my own nonverbal communication skills and will make me take note of how I am reacting and acting towards others with what I am saying beyond my verbal message.

Getting MY class involved.

I just started a new class I am having a very hard time getting them to speak up or give me any feedback. When I ask them if they have questions they never do. When I ask them questions no one volunteers. Any advice?

Communication

Very nice presentation!

The 'first test"

The first test given a class by a teacher is "critical". The students will evaluate the teacher according to it, and it will establish the student's sense of "their accountability". Students will also adjust their future study time and habits as a result of it. Factors and questions involved include: -Does the test adequately reflect the core course content according to the syllabus? -Does it comprehensively cover the matter taught, --but not with unnecessary detail? -Is the test constructed to aim at the median level of capability of the students in the class? -Does the student actually learn while taking… >>>

very interesting

received a lot of info I didn't know about.

Email

At conferance one of the pointers I learned is not only put your subjust in the topic- but also pit (EOM) End of message letter the reader know your meassage is done.

How far should you go to keep you audiences attention?

How far should a presenter go to keep their audiences attention? Especially if they are doing a presentation in the evening hours when their audience has worked all day and has the potential of falling asleep?

How to conduct a meeting

Write down your main points, do not get off topic.

When negotiations go wrong, appropriate time to re-negotiate?

When is it so soon, shouldn't you strike while the issue is still at the fore-front?

communicate

Make sure you know your staff and how they like to be communicated to.

Effective Communication

This tutorial really opened my eyes to the implications of good or bad communication skills. Before completeing this module, I understood the importance of good communication, but I never knew that certain forms of communication work better in different situations. For example if you want someone to remember something that should be done in the future, written communication is the best form, rather then orally communicating something that could easily be forgotten. Another big thing I took from this tutorial is not "dump and run" This is when you just dump information on people without considering their feedback, when asking… >>>

staying on topic

I think a big problem is allowing participants to get "off topic" during discussions and it is important to redirect discussions to achieve your goals.

Telling yourself a story

One of the problems I find is that when you are dealing with nonverbal communication, is that it’s to easy to misinterpret the information. You begin to read between the lines and next thing you know you’re telling yourself a story with new meanings and tones.

Selective listening

You must not stop listening if the information makes you uncomfortable, or if the information is too difficult. Also, you must not predict what you think a meeting is about or what you think will be said. If you practice selective listening, you will miss important parts of the message.

Thanks!

Excellent information!

Initiating a negotiation with someone who doesn't want to negotiate

Anybody have any tips for negotiating with someone who doesn't want to even start negotiations? For example a car sales person who says "car price is as marked", or a landlord who wont return calls to negotiate a lease?