Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Listening

To be an effective listener you have to stop talking

Yes, I feel anyone needs to stop talking when they are listening so they can receive all the facts the messenger is trying to get across to give the correct response or feedback that is needed for the communication or discussion being carried out.

I agree, I find most people will begin anticipating what someone will be saying through communicate and may in fact lose sight of what they should be doing which is listening.

The most difficult aspect is having a conversation while truly listening and the ability to continue the conversation.

I completely agree with this statement, I learned many years ago that a wise listener is "Slow to speak and quick to listen." It is impossible to engage in conversation when you are so busy processing your thoughts to convey, that you never spend time hearing or prcessing the thoughts of the person you are engaged with in conversation.

Yes you must give your total attention to the talker, in order to recive the information that is being deliever to you.

Listening is a very hard skill to achieve for most people. In attempting to listen the mind wants to gather thoughts as the words are being deliever.

Facts don't seem to matter at the time, unfortunately a response is what we are thinking about.

I agree that a good listener must stop talking and Listen to the person completly before answering or suggesting any help.

I also agree that you must train yourself to not interupt with an opinion or a quick answer. Sometimes you must ask questions to clarify and it is important to agree on some point before the conversation ends.

A good listener knows the right time to listen only, and the right time to take control of the conversation. If we practice this on a daily basis--our listening skills will be better each day.

I agree, you must stop talking and just listen. If you try to analize to early you wil lbe missing the point.

A good listener, shows good eye contact, and body langague. this shows the speaker that you are intune and hearing what they are saying.

You want the listener to feel comfortable, and that they are not being judged while you listen.

Just simply listening and being heard by a boss who listens creates a more productive stress free environment.

Sign In to comment