Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

A need for more coaching instead of mentoring

After completing this training, I have realized that as Managers, it is very necessary to do more informal and formal coaching. Many times we try to provide mentoring strategies but neglect following all of the necessary steps to establish a formal coaching plan and to do the necessary follow-up. Instead, people are evaluated poorly and then put on an improvement plan. This only creates a bad experience and many employees lose interest and motivation.  Anyone share the same opionion?  

Sell it to the students

Often I find something does not go as planned in the classroom. When it does and the students feel frustrated. I try and find a way to help turn the situation around and create it into a learning experirence. It's how you spind it to help the student see what work around would be implimented and how or what they could have done in that situation to remedy it.

feed back

in  feed back really need preparation and collect all the facts before give somebody a feed back

I try to provide feedback to students on moodle, but it is difficult when we have 3 classes of 20 students and 6

assignments a week.  I will do my best to do better in Canvas which, I believe, gives you the ability to highlight errors on the student's submissions.

Retake course

Topic

Very good topic. I have learned a lot of key(s) in order to be sucessful on my work presentations.

Are students getting enough feed back ?

In the push for better student achievement, standardized test scores have taken on increased significance. Yet these summative assessments, much like the traditional letter grades that schools have assigned for decades, represent judgments that are delivered long after student performance. Young people receiving only these types of assessments lack the specific, actionable and timely teacher observations—otherwise known as feedback—that will help them improve their response to learning tasks.

ML122 Final Quiz

Redirecting ourselves in the moment

I would love to hear other presenters ideas on how to best redirect our self in the middle of presenting an idea, when we realize we can hear the crickets.

Coaching

This helped me to put into perspective what i need to do to be a more effective coach

Difficult Interactions

Managing difficult interactions is hard work. But worth the effort.  Difficult conversations become easier to handle you are able to prevent situations from getting out of hand, it helps with moral, strenghtens work relationships and increases productivity.

listening

How often do we go into a conversation- with a student, a spouse, a coworker etc. and we think we already know the answer... we listen, and are SURPRISED that what they say is not what we anticipated... and then the next day can only remember what we thought they were going to say? just me?

Listen with intent to understand, not reply

I find that, as I'm working, I tend to listen to reply rather than listen to understand.  I don't think I do that as much when I'm not working.  How can I better listen to understand in my work?

Telephone communication

It's really a disadvantage to the communications process when all communications is conducted over the telephone.  Listening is so vital at this point because we can't see the body language of the other party. We really have to pay attention to voice quality to better understand what they're saying.

Barriers to Listening

After seeing all of the 6 barriers, I realize how I can easily default to one of those if I'm not being careful. It's great to be made more aware of what those are and what they look like.

non verbal on the phone

So what are some of the non-verbal things we can observe on the phone?

Listen

Listening is purposeful. This requires focus and a willingness to engage with the student and to dig deeper.

Non-verbal

Its interesting to me that as one that spends most of the time on the phone with students, you can hear different body languages in peoples voices.

funnels from grade 5

We used to teach the grade 5 students how to do this to become better writers--- most people know broad information. close friends know deeper information, and best friends/family know the key aspect. Relationally speaking- the further we progress through the funnel, the more our students are letting us into their life- and understand what really makes them tick.

Tell me more

I'm not the best at digging deeper, but adding this simple question or maybe, "Anything else?" can add so much more to rapport building and getting to the heart of the subject.