Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Results

Great lesson very informative!!!

Facial expressions

It is important to realize that facial expressions say more than words and students know exactly what you are saying by looking at your face. Sometimes it may be best to be a "poker" face -- however, for most people, this is a difficult task.

Good info.

I found this tutorial very helpful.I have never had the need to organize or conduct a meeting.This forum has given me a real heads up.

Engaging your Audience

Get the audience involved by asking questions. Spewing knowledge can be boring, but helping your audience to discover the answers will keep them engaged. You can ask yes/no questions to quickly "poll" the audience and encourange a larger group response, or more open ended questions if you are looking for more detailed answers for smaller group involvment.

Organizing Your Material

When writing a communication, what strategies do you use to effectively organize your material?

Is What I Meant What You Read? Dynamics of the Delivery

What aspects must we consider when ensuring that a delivered communication is not misunderstood?

Fear of Public Speaking

I believe that confidence goes along way. I have a troubled time speaking in crowds of people knowing or not knowing the subjct of discussion, but what I came to reaize is that if you put on confidence it helps you get through

Communicatin Effectively

Communication is about getting your message sent and recieved. The more we practice "good" communication skills, the easier it will be for us to teach, learn, and succeed.

Listening

To be an effective listener you have to stop talking

Fearing Public Speaking/Talking and not Listening

I had a fear of public speaking and I realized in life you need to have the confidence to talk effectively to people in a public setting. I am an Admissions Representative and have been for 5 years and to be effective in promoting your product which in my case is an Education, I need to be confident in what I am saying or you will lose the interest of the prospect very quickly! To be effective you need to have the prospect interact with you because if you do all the talking and not enough of listening you will… >>>

Stage Fright

Before addressing a new class, I like to practice my first day presentation at home, before I even get to school. I also use note cards and other props...Even though I have done the same class several times, it helps to avoid "dead space" and verbal clutter ("...um....um..."

First paragraph...

Most people read the first paragraph of a given communique intently and the rest with varying degrees of enthusiasm. I think the first paragraph is what sets the tone for the rest of the email/report/story etc. and it must get the message communicated clearly and to the point

Communication

At most jobs I have worked, I've noticed that most problems arise from poor communication. I'm glad to see these topics outlined here and can use these not only in the classroom, but at my job as well

Moving around

It is good to move around and it helps to keep your listener focused.

Patience

The best way to listen is to have the patience to let the speaker get there point across.

Body Language

what you say is not as important as how it is said.

Reviewing and Revising

I have found editing my work of great help to me; training myself to always review/revise everything I write. I used to spend an inordinate amount of time revising my work to make sure it was okay. After much practice, the editing time has diminished considerably. Thanks.

Have a prop for

Have a prop during your presentation to engage the students. e.g. food for food history course, a menu for menu course

Involve your students on presentation.

In most of my lectures I have my students participate by asking them questions or including them in the lectures.

Receiving Feedback from Others

What communication strategies do you personally have in place to ensure that you are effectively receiving feedback from others?