Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Actions stronger than words.

How often have we opted to say nothing since the look said it all?

Meetings or conferences?

V-. Tutorial well taken . If groups of more than 15 make a conference can our meetings of 60 persons truelly yeild results?

Writing

Written communication is one of the most important forms of communication. Effective writing skills are vital to a business.

Presentation

The biggest problem I found is describing certain parts of a truck tractor and the student doesn't know what I am talking about.Resourse material or examples are avalilible but don't show a good example.We have truck tractors but they are not always here at the school. They are either on the road or being used on the range far training. We are a truck driving school.

Positive Feedback on Assignments

I teach online and grade a lot of assignments each week. Any suggestions for encouraging words to use in my feedback? I seem to be using the same words over and over such as great, excellent, etc.

Helpful hints

I found this to be fun and informative. Straight forward.

good topic

This was a good topic, but it could have been longer.

Effective Communication

In my opinion, this is the number one and most important issue. We must have each member of the team 'buy' into whatever it is we are about. It may take all of the rest of this to get there, but we must get 'there'.

Positive Feedback

I am an instructor in a commericial driver license truck driving school and I find that with positive feedback on how well a student is doing when learning the necessary skills needed for this course the students learn from it.

Listening Skills in an Admissions Rep

It has been my experience through the 17 years that I have been in Admissions, that the "Listening" skill is one of 2 primary skills that an Admissions Rep must utilize daily if they are to become great Admissions Reps. The other primary skill is to ask "Smart" questions in order to utilize the "listening" skill properly. When a rep practices theses 2 skills effectively, they will find repeated success in what they do for a career.

I agree

I often hold multiple rooms for the students to communicate per week.

Feedback

What is the sandwich method of providing feedback and when is it appropriate to use. Give an example of its proper use.

Key Presentations

I am presently working on a Strat Plan for our organization. Identifing the key areas is crucial to overall success. Ensure that the goals are presnted so that everyone understands them and get the buy-in from your audience sooner than later.

Getting students to pay attention and not use computers during lectures

Are any of you instructors. I teach a college course in Computers and we are not able to lock the computers. Is there any strategies out there for keeping students from playing or working ahead on the computer and keep them listening and focussed.

Knowledge from my boss

My boss always provides us with memo explaining in the beginning of what, when, where, and why. This helps the staff understand what will be going on at the school.

Communication

It is important to hold instructors meetings at least once a monthe to give everyone a chance to discuss any issues they have or any topics they would like to discuss.

Laughing during a presentation

I always find it good to make the audience laugh because it seems to keep their attention.

Communticating to employess with different schedules

We hold instructor meetings every 6 weeks in 4 different locations. Not everyone shows up so communication sometimes requires an email. with a copy of the minutes. does anyone have a better way of reinforcing what was discussed and making sure the employee understands it.

Presentation

As long as a joke is in good taste is it all right to tell one, even if it's not about the subject your about to present?

how do I know what technique to use to control a presentation