Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Receiving Feedback from Others

What communication strategies do you personally have in place to ensure that you are effectively receiving feedback from others?

First of all, I try to maintain my non-verbal communication skills (body language, eye contact, etc.). I try to listen very carefully to what the other person is saying. If I am not sure what their point of view is; I ask questions until I am sure I understand their concerns. I try to remember that I must be doing something in a manner that has required this person to offer this critique. Also, I try to remember that offering the critique is probably not easy for the other person. This makes it even more important that I listen, understand, and adjust my actions accordingly. I try to be open to the other person's point of view.

I think thru the process before I engage in conversation. I make an effort to control the automatic response that is a part of old learned
habits. I force my-self to listen rather then react and try to understand the intent of the person giving the feedack and try to control personal expressions that could be mistaken as rejection. I ask question about topics I might disagree

I hold weekly team meetings with my managers and ask that very question.We have open and honest comunication within our department no question or questions is off limits and we welcome feedback.

Hi Richard! Thanks for your comments. Honest communication is so essential because feedback is affected not only by the actual message, but by how it is sent, received, perceived, and even how the sender and receiver feel about each other. Good communication, particularly when sending and receiving feedback, creates a set of dynamics that can further develop professional relationships and enhance both employee and organizational performance.

Jay Hollowell
ML120 Facilitator

I think the idea of being open to any questions is a great idea. You have to really create a safe environment for people to feel like they can say or suggest anything to be a progressive creative unit.

Some of the strategies that I use when receiving feedback from others are to keep an open-mind and being willing to listen to what is said. I set time aside to reflect on the feedback and leave emotions out. This has allowed me to take feedback seriously and use the feedback towards my self-development. This has helped me to grow and look at new ways of doing things from someone else’s point of view.

I find being open and approachable important, also giving the situation the time it deserves. Not just rushing through an event to get to the next situation, but giving it the time it demands to get settled in a constructive manner.

i am very strong willed and i must stop everything that i am doing and physically and emotionally prepare for someone giving me feedback. my focus must be on the person giving the feedback and that whatever the feedback they are trying to help me improve.

Hi Mark, thanks for your response; I am very much the same way and have found that if both the sender and receiver of feedback discuss their observations before their reactions, the process tends to go more smoothly.

Jay Hollowell
ML120 Facilitator

I agree with Frank, it's not easy to activly listen without putting in your personal comments.

I try to pay attention to my non verbal cues such as body language, posture and what I am expressing on my face.

I also try to be open minded and listen to what the speaker is saying. Next, I try to avoid thinking about what I want to say in response to what I am hearing.

Most importantly, I ask questions to clarify what the speaker is saying so that there is no room for misinterpretation.

I completley agree with what you shared. I too try to keep an open mind and approach each encounter with the attitude that there is ALWAYS something I can learn. This applies to my being the sender or receiver of feed back.
I have found this attitude to be benefical for my own growth.I also creates a fair play environment for those I am giving feedback to and they are more receptive to what I have to say and use it constructively.
Jane Spilko
Instructor

I attend departmental and Director's team meetings to ensure I receive feedbsck to increase my overall effectiveness. This feedback is a great two-way discussion that allows me to develop more effective results.

I often ask for feedback. I find it easier when I am inviting the information. I listen and ask for examples. I find positive feedback harder to be gratious about especially when I am expecting constructive feedback. I look for oportunities to continuously improve, so I sort through the information and decide if it could be out of anger or if it can really help me to be a better person or do my job better. I usually take notes so that I can remember everything. It also lets the other person know that I am taking them seriously and that I really do care about what they have to say.

Well I like, the email because it is all documneted. Thwn the person to person i like to use as a back up. because in a meeting it would be your word to the other persons word so my communition i like would be email

Thats good. I lik the open door policies too but on one hand the open door policies are not always open door.

There is nothing worng with asking questions that is how you get to know what is going on and it is not hear say from other employees

I am always open and never get defensive. People seem to have no issues giving me feedback. Some times, they are too honest because they know I can take it.

I try to keep an open mind. look at things from thier point of view.

Sign In to comment