Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Team empowerment

How do you improve team empowerment with minimal micromanagent?

Differnet Styles of Management

It's imperative that you know your employees and their capabilities and limitations. It will assist you greatly in the determining which of management strategies you should use.

What predominant obstacles contribute to team disassembling?

In a nutshell, I believe lack of communication or ineffective of communication is the predominant obstacles.

Motivating

When working with my team, at times it seems that individuals that take more work to motivate fall in and out of motivation more easily than those that stay motivated. What is a good way to keep the less motivated people stay motivated longer?

Motivating the Non Motivated

How do we motivate the Non Motivated? As a new manager, i'm finding this a bit of a challenge. There are some in the team who have no problem going that extra distance, who clearly care about what they do, and then there are some who just dont seem to care. I was always highly motivated and worked hard to always be improving myself and what i did, so its difficult for me to understand those who dont follow that lead and i'm just struggling a little with what to do about it.

To Much Motivation

Although I oversee one co-worker, she is highly motivated and productive. She is an excellent employee and co-worker, however sometimes she needs to slow down because it seems unprofessional. How would I communicate this without discouraging my co-worker. She is also highly competitive and keeps her number up always above mine which is great but when my numbers happen to go above about hers she makes it known and she demonstrates becoming discouraged. I tell her it is a team effort.

Leading and motivating without support

How would you go about trying to motivate a group of instructors when you yourself are not able to get support from your leadership team? There are times when it takes the support and at times resources to do so and this is my delemma.

team dynamics

I enjoyed the content. But would like more feedback on how different teams work together. Many of us work in various teams. I can apply these to several teams I work with. The issue is often how one team breaking apart affects other teams. IE management teams effecting department teams.

Helpfulness of course

I found this class a great refresher! Wonderful topics !!

Management Style

Many managers feel that those that work for them need to be lead by correcting the negative. What I mean by this is that they feel they have to point out the things an employee is doing wrong and correct those but ignore what the employee is doing correctly. The feeling is that they will know what they are doing right and this does not have to be addressed. This is an incorrect assumption most of the time. Making sure the employee know the correct course of action and reinforcing this action is as important as correcting the wrong course.… >>>

How to improve team management

Well, I would have to say commitment would have to be a biggie in my book. first of all, we need to know if members feel the team mission and goals are important. Are they willing to go the extra mile. So I would have to say getting a clear concept of your comrades help out a whole lot.

leadership qualities

Leadership Qualities Leadership is not a noun; it’s a verb. Leadership is often identified as a position and not of a person taking action. Leadership is a descriptive term identifying the actions, behaviors and methodologies of communication. No leader can be effective if he/she cannot deliver and display all three elements. Actions: A leader must be willing to take actions and accept responsibility for decisions made. No leader can be successful if she/he fails to make critical decisions. It is at the moments after critical decisions are made, when the subordinates identify the style of the leader and communicates throughout… >>>

Encouraging part-time employees

How do you encourage part-time employees to care as much about there job or task at hand as full-time employees would?

MBWA

One of my favorite management styles is "MBWA" - or Management By Walking Around. This style allows executives to gather information and opinions about what is happening from diverse sources, find out what's on people's minds, and learn firsthand what is going on in the organization. In my line of work (strategy development and execution) it is important for management to have their finger the pulse of the organization. MBWA and an open door policy can help executives gather this critical information informally.

What is the best advice on managment training?

As a Director, I am always in search of training, but how often is sufficient to keep me fresh in my management style?

overworked

will people perform worse if they are over loaded

New Management Role

What would you consider advice to a new management position in regards to being an effective leader?

Blink

I noticed that the recommended reading for this course was associated with the book _Blink_. I wonder if effective leaders are particularly adept at trusting their intuition?

Motivating a Sales Team Without Budgets

Recently our organization took away set budgets for our sales reps with the mindset that the pressure can cause desperation and unethical sales practices. Most of our organization has seen a decrease in production since the change. Can you TRULY gain the results you need without the ability to both manage and lead your team? Especially if you can no longer hold your sales reps accountable for poor performance. What I've found in this new environment is that it's even more important to find what motivates your team internally. I have fortunately continued to see positive results, however I am… >>>

Faster results when using feedback......

Feedback from employees is helpful in solving problems quickly. Most of the time, the employees are already aware of the problem before management becomes involved. Most quality employees have already been thinking or working on a solution. Involving them in the process only encourages them to continue to be proactive in the future.