Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing STAFF and CLASSROOMS

As a manager and a teacher I experience the parallels of managing instructors in the work-place and students in the classroom on a daily basis. Both roles require similar management and leadership skills. I believe no matter what you are managing, wether it be a classroom or an office, one must continuously "take inventory" of students and staff. How do you keep up on knowing what your students or staff need to excel in the classroom or on the job? Needs may vary from identifying and catering to specific student learning styles to identifying instructor (employee) weaknesses and ways to improve upon them.

Good observation Matthew & I agree with you. Often it is understanding the group needs as well as those individual needs.
Ryan

I also am a manager and a teacher. I find it interesting that in a learning environment where they themselves are the students, the teachers are not always that much different from their own students. I use this as a teaching tool. I assume the "worst case" teacher scenarios while instructing teachers and have them measure their own responses and feelings so they see first hand why these practices need to be avoided.

Rebecca
Great strategy & you are right a very powerful teaching tool for instructors. If they don't like what's happening in the classroom, why would we assume the students would? Great idea.
Ryan

As an instructor, I find it difficult to take constant inventory of what my students need to excel in the classroom. However, ways that I've tried to handle it is to pay attention to trends and patterns I see developing either in the class as a whole (attendance issues or test scores) or with particular individuals (talking in class, sleeping, etc.). Sometimes I can address these issues directly with students; sometimes I change the way I'm doing something.

Christi,
the more individual attention we can give our students the better, but it is definitely a challenge.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Managing adult students as well as instructors who are the same age as there students brings a different dimension to management. I do agree that staff often take on the traits of their students when faced with course correction discussion. I find that "buy in" is the key. If the staff member feels as though they are an key member in the vision of the company then this translates to the students and they are able to assess the students with a management eye as well.

Haley,
this is a great point & reminds us of the importance of communicating the "why" to all of our constituents!

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I've had similar issues that Christi has experienced. As an instructor the students don't always see the importance of what they are learning now and the impacts it will have later. Some of the graduated students that realize the lessons do matter have been invited to drop by class and give their perspectives. This has helped.
Each class is unique and the more options I have to handle the smoother classes unfolds. Updating the way I'm doing lessoms keeps it relevent to both me and the students.

Sign In to comment