Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

leadership

Management and leadership are important parts of being a successful manager or leader

Support

I like to give managers and team the support that they need in whatever why i can to motivate. I find that just offering to provide whatever assistance you can is a great motivating tool. Most of the time, they will not take you up on the offer, however when they do it is imperative that you follow through timely.

Managing diverse projects within the same department

What tips or strategies have you practiced when your team or department has received multiple and diverse projects to complete within the same timeline ?

Leadership

As a new manager, I think it is very important to get to know each of your employees to best understand how to manage them. I've seen bad situations happen too many times because a manager simply did not know how to approach a particular employee.

leadership

leadership is very important

Leadership

I think it is very important to be nice to people but not to become part of the group or one of the guy's

Emotional intelligence

How to treat your direct reports fairly in the situation when both of them want to take same day (saturday) off of work to take classes in college. And at least one of them have to work on saturdays...

Leader or manager...

Should one expect the manager to be also the leader ?

Direct access

I'm not entirely clear on what a direct access really is, anything to clear this up ?

fine machine

The people you are over, have to understand its a fine clock and it has to run smooth, and being able to fix it on the fly.

do it all.

You have to be able to do the job, in order to over see it.

Always ask.

Always ask, then you can tell to get it done.

Effective Leadership

Good leaders are those who understand that they cannot get a job done or run a business effectively without the support of their employees. Don Stamile

Leadership

A good leader will get to know his subordinates personalities and allow them to participate. This gives them ownership in whatever project they are doing. Don Stamile Chief Instructor

ask and tell

I have used the ask and tell method of management, and it works best to increase productivity.

Recognizing Different Management Styles

Depending on the number of people you supervize, I have found the better you know them the easier it is to use a management style that works best to get the job done. Don Stamile Chief Instructor

Being a leader and not leading them around

In being a leader, it takes effort not to lead your team around, but to allow them the help lead the team. Teams will take the leadership role if you give them the resources to do so, the "Pat on the back" when things are done well, and direction when things bottle up.

Being a leader, and not leading them around.

In being a leader, it takes effort not to lead your team around, but to allow them the help lead the team. Teams will take the leadership role if you give them the resources to do so, the "Pat on the back" when things are done well, and direction when things bottle up.

Responsibilities of a leader

A true leader is one that accepts all input no matter what that may be, he must sort the information and deligate what direction or directions to go. If you use the input given and the the possibilities of what direction to go, the team will feel like what they say matters in the decision making and this builds team confidance, in themselfs as a group and in you as their leader.

Competition

It's important for organizations to embrace change when it means growth for the company. Organizations that are afraid of change or feel comfortable with policies and procedures set in place for years run the risk of losing business to their competition who is oftentimes on top of the latest trends in the market.