Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Preparing for a Meeting

What do you think is the hardest task in preparing for a meeting with your staff or colleagues? How do you accomplish this task?

Is the Meeting Progressing?

What experiences have you encountered when meetings progressed as scheduled? What went right? When meetings went awry? What went wrong?

Motivation through understanding

In this day and age (as the tutorial pointed out), everyone is pressed for time. A clear vision is a wonderful thing, but won't get a leader very far if there's a pattern of asking more and more of fewer and fewer staff (with few if any incentives). This is an unfortunate result of the horrible economy, and something that takes extra finesse to deal with. How can we, as leaders, deal with this increasingly common situation? A good leader will recognize when her/his employees are overwhelmed and help them prioritize - the leader will perhaps even take on additional work him/herself to alleviate stress for employees.

Buy it , Love it ...or leave it !

You need to love what you do, the passion on your duties and goal makes your dreams come true.

Leadership and Management

In evaluating leadership and management separately, I find that the two overlap frequently. Should they be kept separate to optimize personal growth?

Leadership

I believe a leader is someone that has the ability to inspire and lead others, without people feeling that they are being led and trampled upon. A leader should also have the strength to ignore criticims and be able to pursue strategieis even if the situation is unpopular.

Leadership

This training lesson served as an excellent reminder of little things that can be passed over or forgotten when attempting to lead and unify members of the work force.

Leadership

Being a good leader takes practice.

leadership

Management and leadership are important parts of being a successful manager or leader

Support

I like to give managers and team the support that they need in whatever why i can to motivate. I find that just offering to provide whatever assistance you can is a great motivating tool. Most of the time, they will not take you up on the offer, however when they do it is imperative that you follow through timely.

Managing diverse projects within the same department

What tips or strategies have you practiced when your team or department has received multiple and diverse projects to complete within the same timeline ?

Leadership

As a new manager, I think it is very important to get to know each of your employees to best understand how to manage them. I've seen bad situations happen too many times because a manager simply did not know how to approach a particular employee.

leadership

leadership is very important

Leadership

I think it is very important to be nice to people but not to become part of the group or one of the guy's

Emotional intelligence

How to treat your direct reports fairly in the situation when both of them want to take same day (saturday) off of work to take classes in college. And at least one of them have to work on saturdays...

Leader or manager...

Should one expect the manager to be also the leader ?

Direct access

I'm not entirely clear on what a direct access really is, anything to clear this up ?

fine machine

The people you are over, have to understand its a fine clock and it has to run smooth, and being able to fix it on the fly.

do it all.

You have to be able to do the job, in order to over see it.

Always ask.

Always ask, then you can tell to get it done.