Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Team dynamics

How do you accomplish team cohesiveness consistently with minimal conflicts?

We allow different team members to lead when they have a fresh idea. This provides recognition and opportunities to develop leadership skills. Participation improves when it is someone else’s turn.

To add to that point, the team will notice those strong points of every member and delegation of work load becomes easier when a difficult project comes to light, and conflict is decreased.

Jason,
To further your idea, in addition to reducing conflict and sharing workload, rotating leaders also promotes growth and development in your employees. Organizations need people who can lead. Giving employees the opportunity to exhibit leadership is a great confidence builder and is less risky for the company.
Jamie

We rotate leaders and try to be open to new idea and suggestions from each other.

We allow everyone to voice their opinions on resolutions for issues and then look at the pro's and con's. From here we choose the best resolution based on the pro's and con's.

Chris,
You mentioned some good ideas in your post. For one thing, you mentioned soliciting opinions from all the team members. This is very important. You also talked about “voting” on the most appropriate solutions. Using a democratic process makes everybody feel like their opinion matters. Sometimes, as a manager, taking the decision of the group is not practical. Therefore, it is important that the team understands that you are open to suggestions, but that not all suggestions can be approved by management as is. This will keep the expectations of the group in check.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Another method is to rotate the team leader position. This worked in my previous place of employment. If a manager had a particular interest in the project, then he/she would take the lead. This process served our team well through many projects.

Tara,

Rotating responsibilities is a great way to keep people enthusiastic about being on the team, while also building and diversifying their skill level. One of my favorite books is called “Flight of the Buffalo.” The book compares the leadership strategies of Buffalo and Geese. Buffalo herds have one leader and when the herd is in danger the buffalos surround the leader. Unfortunately, if the leader gets killed, the herd scatters and is decimated because none of the other buffalo were ever trained to be the leader. Geese fly in a V formation. Every goose is taught how to be at the front of the V and lead the flock. If the leader is hurt, injured, or tired, another goose takes the lead role. Organizations are very similar. The best managers and leaders should always be “training their replacement” as opposed to guarding information.

Thanks for your insights.

Dr. Jamie Morley

As someone who is NOT a leader (at my civillian job) rotating responsibilities helps the lower employees feel as though there is some trust or belief in the employees' abilities. It's easy to feel as though your opinion is not valued and your skills not appreciated.
Having some input into a solution helps raise moral and I, personally, tend to work harder if I feel that my manager wants or needs my input.

Colin,

Great idea! Rotating responsibilities is a great way to keep people enthusiastic about being on the team, while also building and diversifying their skill level. By giving team members “stretch assignments” they have the opportunity to grow and develop, thereby becoming move valuable members of your team. Another idea is creating subgroups. Subgroups allow more people to assume leadership roles. It also enables participants to join a group that especially interests them. Often, this leads to higher engagement and productivity.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Sign In to comment