Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Difficulty letting go

I was recently promoted to manager of my department. I have two people working in my department I am in charge of managing. They have taken over the tasks I used to be in charge of. I am finding it difficult letting go of my old duties, because I feel as if it is not being done correctly. Is there any advice on how to give direction without sounding as if you are nagging. Especially incases when you feel as if this something you have explained before.

Meeting "Mind Set"

The most dificult task is geting people to be in the right "mind set" people think of a meeting and imediately assume the worst; come in with a "negative attitude"

Team Members

I has been said a leader should be able follow as well as lead, but if the people who the leader is leading it is very hard for the leader to follow. So the point of every getting on borad of the company mission, in my option should be key.

Communication Effectively

This is very important to success. Effective leaders are good communicators. Get the point across and don't play games.

Replacing a Previous Leader

I recently took over as leader of a team. Their previous leader accepted a new job and had to step down. What is the best practice for taking over a leadership role from someone else? Should I stick with the decision making process, meeting format, and other rules that the previous leader had in place? I am afraid to change too much because I am the newest member of the team and don't want to shake everything up right away.

Phone Meetings

I am a team leader for a group of Online Teachers. Each of us works from home and we never meet in person. We have regular meetings that take place over the phone. Does anyone have any suggestions or insights for leading a team that never meets in person? I have trouble encouraging participation. It seems easy for individuals to hide behind their phone receiver and talk very little. Also, do you have any tips for making a phone meeting seem more personal?

How to handle difficulty team member?

Some team members are difficulty to deal with. I don't have enough time to discuss her/his concerns (about 2 hours every time). What should I do?

Negative Attitude

What is the best way to deal with an IT manager who is negative towards all employees and other management?

Breaking issues into manageable parts

Tackling complicated issues requires that we break it down into manageable parts. I love the saying we dont eat an elephant in one bite. Breaking issues up makes it seem like a problem that can be solved.

Manage timing

How you can decide on how long will your meeting be for?

directive skills

Being firm with employees up front and you will gain respect quick!!

Change is Inevitable

Change is a good thing.

Company Vision

Positive change in todays world

New employee Hires

Information sharing/ best practices

one team

If we can always agree to to the best we can, then most times we can come together to do the job, but this does not always happen.

What is the best way to deal with a direct report who despises you.

What is the best way to deal with a direct report who despises you for being promoted over them, and who pretty much discounts everything you say.

management

I believe it is important to consider the employee's personality when making decisions on how best to approach him/her, when you are using constructive criticism in management.

Revitalizing an "old team" with "new tricks"

I am currently managing 15 team members and majority of the team are over 50 I am in my last 20's. I have been getting the worse treatment and seperation from this team. I dont know if it is because of the age, or is it something deeper. I have never been a "click" person.

Team Management

I feel that some of the senarios used in this lesson (test)could have had two possible correct answers. It depends on your management style. My goal is to use the most effective managing style to fit the needs of my team. As a new leader Im still working on ways to build my team successfully.

Team Thinking

As a team leader and manager I have a constant struggle with strong headed individualities. I deffinatly want them to be individuals but I need them to be a team. how do you strike this balance?