Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Creating a Business Case | Origin: ML143

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Creating a Business Case

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Finance Essentials | Origin: ML141

Finance Essentials

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Marketing Essentials | Origin: ML140

Marketing Essentials

Customer Focus | Origin: ML139

Customer Focus

Creating a Business Plan | Origin: ML144

Creating a Business Plan

Process Improvement | Origin: ML145

Process Improvement

Measuring Performance | Origin: ML146

Measuring Performance

Diversity

One can never be too careful when working with a diverse group of people.  All must be treated equally with respect and dignity.  Forgiveness can go a long way to help mend a rift between two people when ones feelings are hurt.

Employee Development

Employee development is more important than ever in today’s fast-changing business landscape.

Motivation

Working together as a united team toward achieving a goal

Clear vision

It's important to express a clear vision of where you want your team to go to be successful, and then listen and adjust as needed.

A Boss Who Doesn't Feel It's Necessary to Have 1:1 Meetings

Greetings, 

I assist a two Directors.  One I meet with on a weekly basis, the other prefers communication through email.  What do you do when you have initiated a weekly 1:1 with one of your bosses and they say that they don't think it's necessary?  I feel it's necessary since I primarily work remote and there is information that would be easier to share during a 1:1 30 minute weekly or bi-weekly meeting.  I feel sometimes the individual just doesn't want to communicate with people.  

How do I still try to learn about my boss when they don't want to interact much outside of email.  I've only had 2 1:1 touch base meetings with him in the past 2 years.  I've even shared how it will help me help him even better.  

Good information

This is a good information to be use in class with my students

Dealing with management

What is the best strategy to deal with management if they are not buying your idea even with many conversations and evidences?

Teamwork

What defines a good teamwork

Ferpa

This was great  and so much knowledge for me to using for teaching!

motivating

avoiding groupthink

its important to value everyones opinion and not fall in line with the majority

Meetings as Workspace

A top takeaway from this course so far has been the idea to make the meeting a workspace. This could mean allowing time for particiapnts to read the egenda - or filling out forms during the merting with less work added to a growing to-do list. 

Meeting Management

I agree that have a specific detailed agenda sent out at least 48 hours to a week in advance with a clearly stated objective to brainstorm, discuss or decide make for the most productive and effective meeting.  I have also found that providing data ahead of time helps to insure everyone comes to the meeting level set on what the problem clearly is or what the data shows. It is always best to decide base on actual data vs feelings,