Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Direct Reports

My direct reports do their jobs well but when it come to turning in reports they can't seem to get them in on time. What ie the best way to get them to understand that their reports are important and need to be turned in on time

To Lead with no Power!

Is it truley possible to lead when given no power? If your title is only in name can you lead?

How to improve team communication for offsite team members?

Empowering all team member to be vocal and ask questions when they do not understand tasks assigned and communicate with other team members for advice and guidance when stuck on assignments. Team members are located at different locations, therefore reaching out to others may be necessary.

What needs to happen for a Change to be successful

Many years ago I attended a lecture and was given the following information, about what needs to happen in order for a change to be successful. I could not recall the authors name, but I really believe this information helps,when I speak to the staff about upcoming changes. CHANGE REQUIRES Vision Skills Incentive Resources Action Plan Vision---If you do not have vision you will get CONFUSION Skills---lack of skills you will get ANXIETY Incentive--- slow if there is lack of incentive GRADUAL CHANGE Resource---If you do not have resources, you get FRUSTRATION Action Plan---If you fail to have an action… >>>

motivation

I like to think that leadership sometimes does overlap with management when you are working with an employee that needs a lot of motivation.

Effective Leadership

An effective leader identifies not only outstanding team players, but promotes them/acknowledges them in a way that makes the employee feel like a critical part of the team (which they are)!

Effective Leadership

An effective leader identifies not only outstanding team players, but promotes them/acknowledges them in a way that makes the employee feel like a critical part of the team (which they are)!

Leadership

Leadership and managing a team can be effective when everyone understands the department goals and be creative in coming up with outside the box answers to meet goals.

Dealing with change

You have to be flexible and willing to have change in the work place. Without change it will become stale

Tell and sell

I think it is good to know the people that yo have working for you, it is also good to know their strong points as well as their weak points. I think the tell and sell is a good way to go.

The Phases of Project Management

Given the necessity of all four phases of project management, which phase do you believe to be the most important to a project's success? Why?

The Project Charter

What is a Project Charter and why may it be such a large contributor to the project management process?

Preparing for a Meeting

What do you think is the hardest task in preparing for a meeting with your staff or colleagues? How do you accomplish this task?

Is the Meeting Progressing?

What experiences have you encountered when meetings progressed as scheduled? What went right? When meetings went awry? What went wrong?

Motivation through understanding

In this day and age (as the tutorial pointed out), everyone is pressed for time. A clear vision is a wonderful thing, but won't get a leader very far if there's a pattern of asking more and more of fewer and fewer staff (with few if any incentives). This is an unfortunate result of the horrible economy, and something that takes extra finesse to deal with. How can we, as leaders, deal with this increasingly common situation? A good leader will recognize when her/his employees are overwhelmed and help them prioritize - the leader will perhaps even take on additional… >>>

Buy it , Love it ...or leave it !

You need to love what you do, the passion on your duties and goal makes your dreams come true.

Leadership and Management

In evaluating leadership and management separately, I find that the two overlap frequently. Should they be kept separate to optimize personal growth?

Leadership

I believe a leader is someone that has the ability to inspire and lead others, without people feeling that they are being led and trampled upon. A leader should also have the strength to ignore criticims and be able to pursue strategieis even if the situation is unpopular.

Leadership

This training lesson served as an excellent reminder of little things that can be passed over or forgotten when attempting to lead and unify members of the work force.

Leadership

Being a good leader takes practice.