Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

adoption of ball toss

I am going to incorporate the ball toss activity in my medical administrative office class tomorrow. All of the students are under 21 and their attention spans are less than 15 minutes. This activity will also instill not only valuable learning concepts but team work as I teach in an urban environment that lends itself to bringing the street issues into the classroom if allowed.

medical terminology flash cards

I find that my adult learners enjoy making up flash cards of the medical terms in each of the body systems. I also have them practice together with their cards, and I have them draw pictures as well on the flash card. For example, they may draw a body part such as a kidney or heart, etc.

2 Liter for BP practice....

I really like the idea of using the two liter bottle for becoming familiar with inflation and deflation rather than using classmates from the very beginning. I will definitely implement this method in future classes.

Mystery of the Chapter

I think I will use the mystery appraoch with the brown bag. I think it will be a fun activity for students especially when they are working with identifying the definitive diagnoses of diseases.

Fun ways to learn

I am very overwhelmed about which method to pick. I have to look at each o fthem individually again and pick out which one I would use during my next class. Based on ease of creation, I will probably use the Secret Identity one first and see how it goes with student picking out diagnoses to code.

Long term memory or Learning Continuum?

When teaching coding, it is essential that students understand medical terminology well. Referencing terms that students learn in medical terminology as they learn coding is a standard practice I use so that the student not only secure long term memory,they recognize that to be good coders, they need to have a learning continuum.

Using Visual Methods

I teach alot of Medical Terminology and Anatomy and Physiology. I think that my students get a better understanding of the terms by seeing them written in their own handwriting on flashcards, a blackboard or note pad. Usually I have them break down the prefix, suffix and root words.

Individual Activities

I teach both on ground and online and I typically incorporate a crossword puzzle and/or a word search about halfway through my lectures. I like this for several reasons. It gives the student a break from the lecture, I can use this as a quiz, and I can also see how much information the student is retaining which will set the tone for the next half of my lecture.

Fun Ways of Learning

In my class I use a variety of things to make class fun and enjoyable. For my Anatomy and Physiology and Medical Terminology classes I break my students into teams. Then I haveone student lie down on a long sheet of constuction paper (we actually take various sheets and tape them together), then the other team member draws their outline. Each team needs to put the bones of the body in the appropriate place. So for the femur they would write femur in the appropriate place and so on. The first team to complete this task wins. This also works… >>>

Creating Long Term Memory

I teach online classes in the evening for students wanting to become a Certified Professional Coder. There is alot of information given to students in a short period of time each term so it is very important that the students create some form of retaining this information. One thing that I have done in the past and seems to work really well is to have students make flash cards. Each term this can be done, for Medical Terminology, Anatomy and Physiology and so on. Then when the students are ready to sit for their examination they can utilize their flashcards.… >>>

Health condition impeding long-term memory

I have a student who has had brain surgeries in the past and has affected her memory. There are days she performs well and other days when she does not. She is very interested to learn though. Is there a learning activity you can propose?

"Verbalizing" medical terms

What tools/strategies can I employ to make students not only learn and understand medical terminology, but also "say" or verbalize these terms correctly? Many are intimidated when they see rather complex or hard-to-pronounce words?

Visual Methods

Most people respond to Visual Methods because they are hands on learners.

Using individual activites

I think most students like individual activites because if they make a mistake the are not singled out as they are in group activities.

Group Activities

I think the most important thing with a group activity is to be organized so that it allows for easy interactivness

Creating long term memory

It would appear that the good Doctor is saying that repetition leads to memory retention.

different learning speeds

I usually do the same with learners of different stages. I will try and group the different variey of learners together and lecture, then if they have questions they may ask me or they may turn to their fellow student and ask them.

spelling quizes

although they are not very popular I give a weekly or by chapter spelling test to my medical classes. Then when they see the words on the main test they have a better understanding of how to say them and spell them

Word Soup Challenge

In terminology memorization is the key, which is usually accomplished by repitition. a type of game where you have a certain time limit and notecards with different word parts on and the learner has to make as many words out of what is in the "bowl of soup" in the allotted time.

jeopordy

I make online jeopardy games also and divide the class in half and have a spokesperson. this is not only a great review prior to a test it gives the students a break from lecture