Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

medical terminology flash cards

I find that my adult learners enjoy making up flash cards of the medical terms in each of the body systems. I also have them practice together with their cards, and I have them draw pictures as well on the flash card. For example, they may draw a body part such as a kidney or heart, etc.

Marcia, I like your idea of drawing parts with the flash cards. It further reinforces the terms in another mode than printed letters.

I have them make flash card too. I tell them to use them all the time. Ex: When you are in the laundry roon use your flash card, in the grocery line use your flash card.

I also have the class make flashcards to learn terminology. I found a website that will let you exchange, create and store the flashcards forever - for free (the only cost is if you choose to print them). The cards can be downloaded into a smart phone so that the terminology can be studied anywhere.

Wow, what a great site and a great idea. What is the flashcard site's web address?

thanks and I also like using the Quizlet web site where they can design their own test questions for medical terminology.

Thanks, Marcia!

thats a good idea about drawing body parts, most of my students are visual learners, and I feel that just might put them over the top! Thanks!

Most of my students have a set of flash cards too. Unfortunately, I find that they cram the night before and that morning. Then they remember it long enough to pass the quiz/class. When I have them 2 classes later in Coding (when they need to remember the med term) they have already forgotten it due to the gap in between and the vast amount of information they are exposed to.

Deanna, I know this is frustrating. It is one of the reasons I like to use reinforcing activities in between.

Flash cards are a very handy tool that I feel is very useful. I have the students purchase flash cards in three different colors, one for suffixes, one for prefixes, and one for combining forms. This method helps the students study and to get them used to pulling words apart and putting them back together again.

The colored coding of each part is a great visual tool and a wonderful suggestion. Thanks!

When I teach med term I like to have the students make flash cards as well. I have found when putting word parts on the flash card and having them put some sort of picture on the word part itself that relates to the word part. for example:

hepat/o one side of the card. andmake and onion out of the o. back side of the card write liver, so when they see the onion they can relate hepat/o to liver and onions.

My students utilize the cd that comes with their text book. On the cd, we have digital flash cards. I find those that use the cd to study do better on the tests.

Valerie, textbooks have a great wealth of tools that come bundled with them.

I have my students write flash cards, they learn the words and how to break them down by studing them, I also explain to them that they will use their cards through out the rest of their time at school.

There are websites available with flashcards ready made you can download. I encouraged students to download them, color code them and review periodically to prepare for the registry. One of the recent graduates that followed this advice just a little came and gave the students a wake up call that it really would work if you did it. She missed passing by 10 points and reviewing the cards she was sure would have helped more.

It's amazing how students listen to peers and how important fostering that message is.

Teaching medical terminology is like teaching a new language for this instance, flash cards are a helpful and fun tool to manage that type of overwhelming new information.

To help them use the cards more before the last minute of the test, try using the game "The Mad Minute." Have a student be a moderator and use their cards for the round. The moderator reads the definition and the students are to write the word. The moderator should provide 3 - 4 seconds between the end of one defintion and the start of the next. A timer is used (Stopwatch.com is the one I use; it has an exploding bomb the students like to watch) and set for 1 minute. At the end of the round,the moderator reads the definition and asks for a volunteer to give the word. I play a few rounds of this with the students and then see who had the most correct answers; I usually give them some award like a small candybar or something

Sign In to comment