Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

different learning speeds

I usually do the same with learners of different stages. I will try and group the different variey of learners together and lecture, then if they have questions they may ask me or they may turn to their fellow student and ask them.

Good idea to make it either to ask. Some learners want to ask the teacher, some would rather their peers.

Student tutors and study groups are also helpful with the more timid students.

E-mail is also less threatening than talking to an instructor face-to-face :)

In my experience sometimes the older students learn at a faster rate than the younger students.

Oh yes study groups are so useful. I consistently see grade begin to improve once study groups are establishes.

I agree, Barbara. They also develop helping, collaborative relationships which will serve them well in the job world.

I couldn't agree more, I highly encourage students in all of my classes to create study groups on their own

I believe using group activities actually helps those students who are timid and typically will not speak up in class. The more comfortable they are with the class the more they will become involved in the class and the activities that are presented.

Phyllis, I agree that the more comfortable they are the more involved they become.

One thing everyone must remember is that with adults we have different learning speads, some learn faster then others or some might need more help, the students that need more help I make them aware that they can contact me and we will have tutoring time, but if they don't say anything I can not help them.

Verna, it is also a good idea to let the faster students consult with, help and reteach the others.

I have found that peer to peer instructions works very well with students of different learning abilities. Some students are afraid to ask too many questions to the Instructor in front of the class, so when I see one struggling with answers, I ask fellow students to join in the conversation/lecture.

I agree this is a successful strategy for learning, Joann.

It is very important to pay attention to the speed at which students learn.

This is sometimes a challenge when you have diverse learners in your classes.

I like to use group 'quizzes' as a way to incorporate peer learning- after a lesson, I give out a quiz and break the class into groups of 4- they all have different memories of what was taught, and each remember a different resource to look up unknown information in. They seem to have fun and enjoy each other, too. This is how they'll have to function in their field, so I think it's a good way to socialize them and reinforce the lesson.

Sign In to comment