Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using Visual Methods

I teach alot of Medical Terminology and Anatomy and Physiology. I think that my students get a better understanding of the terms by seeing them written in their own handwriting on flashcards, a blackboard or note pad. Usually I have them break down the prefix, suffix and root words.

The act of writing helps to teach and reinforce the lesson, so having the students create their own set of flashcards, notes is another visit to content.

I like using visual aids it helps the students to remember. Flash card are my favorites.

Flash cards are the definite favorite of most of the people who have taken this course, Lynn. Glad they work for you!

I agree Once they see it broken down and them put together again they get it It's a great sight to see

Visual methods can reinforce as well as clear up any confusion.

I have a lot of visual learners in my class and I find that visual learners do better when they write out the terms and definitions. When it comes to the test, they remember the act of writing out the terms and usually that will trigger the correct response.

Valerie, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I agree that writing the terms down themselves, also offers a good way of studying while they write. It allows them to looks up terms they are not sure and write down, the ones they know as well. The flashcards are the bomb!

I use terminology for pharmacology and phlebotomy. They help the students learn

As you create the words from fragmentsi.e. root and prefix the students tend to understand better

I recommend flash cards use before every exam.

Writing reenforces the learning process for my students

Reinforcing knowledge and skills is our most important job.

Are most instructors able to learn what type of learners each student is? It's practical for me to learn that in smaller classes or about students I will teach for several courses, but it seems less practical for larger classes or for groups of students I may only teach one course to...

If you incorporate all 3 types of methods in your teaching plan, you will reach each style without having to assess which student has which style.

Sign In to comment