Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

2 Liter for BP practice....

I really like the idea of using the two liter bottle for becoming familiar with inflation and deflation rather than using classmates from the very beginning. I will definitely implement this method in future classes.

Be sure the 2 liter bottles have either water or sand in them to weigh them down so they remain stationary when students are using them.

This is a great idea, I plan on using it this week, I think this can allow more practice with learning to manage the bladder of the BP cuff. I also plan to use a 20 oz bottle to teach the proper cuff size, based on the size of their patient's arm. Additionally, I think it will make more sense when trying to explain systolic and diastolic BP.

Laura, I like that you will use different sized bottles to show which cuff is the appropriate size. Thank you for your ideas!

I like to use a bottle method to show students how a carburetor venture works.

Wish I could be in your class to see that, Victor!

I really like this idea and your idea of using different sizes is fantastic!! Will definitely try this and pass on the idea to others in my department.

Great idea--students have more trouble with the valve than anything else--and now MY ARM won't be so overused for practice. A K

I also think using this method will save some of the students apprehension of being a volunteer in the classroom. We make them use a partner but starting with a two liter bottle is excellent.

Glad you like it, it is inexpensive and easy to use.

Totally agree! My past experience has taught me that the valve is the hardest thing for the students to learn. By using a two-liter bottle, the student's arms won't have to be used over and over again. Once the student learns how to use the valve, then they can move over to the arm. Great idea - going to use this idea next time I teach vitals.

Thanks for the tip on adding water or sand to the bottles for weight. I'm going to use this idea in the future.

I also really like this idea! Each time I teach this skill, it seems that the one thing that students really struggle with is proper adjustment of the valve. This is something I am going to begin doing as well!

Kelly, I'm glad this is a useful one. You can substitute pool noodles in bunches, too.

Michele Deck

Another great idea, thanks for sharing!

Super ideas! Different size bottles and weighing them down sound perfect. Thanks for the new ideas.

cheryl, this will provide variety, just like real world diversity.

Michele Deck

I will definately use this idea when teaching B/Ps comes around again. This is such a nifty idea.

Sign In to comment