Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

flash cards

My school uses a textbook that comes with premade flash cards and I am doing a beat the clock game with them. The students sit in pairs with their decks. One person is the timer. The other person shuffles their deck. Each person has 2 minutes to say what the definition is on the back of the flashcard. The front of the flashcard will have suffixes, prefixes, word roots and medical abreviations. The student then turns over one card at a time. If they guessed correctly it goes into the points pile if they do not guess correctly it goes into the discard pile. This can be used as a quiz grade or bonus points on a future exam. Bonus points are issued on the level of mastery achieved in the activity.

I use flashcards in my class as well. I like that you use them as a game. I have just made my students create the cards for the chapter and have them used as a study aid. Our text book use a support software called "LearnSmart" which has a game that uses flashcards.

I use flash cards often to get the students thinking and focused more. The cards allow them to spell the word correct and learn the meaning as well. If done repeatedly the student will know/learn the word in a few days.

I also have my students make flash cards. I like that you make a game out of it, I think thats a great idea. As we get into more of the chapters I tell them not to make flashcards for terms they already know that may be repeated in another chapter. By making flash cards for the ones they do not know it eliminates wasting time on stuff they already know. I also tell them to make two piles for each chapter, an "I know" pile and an "I don't know" pile so they can spend extra time on the ones they do not know yet and just review the ones they do.

I like that you have them make all the cards but stack them into the "I know" and "I don't know" pile because it causes them to discriminate, one of the thinking skills of learning.

We use flash cards, also. I liken Medical Technology to learning a foreign language. The flash cards help them to review constantly and reinforce the terms. This way they seem to "get it"!

Laurel, it's a nice analogy to compare this to learning French or Spanish. This makes the process simple to students.

I encourage my students to make similar sets of piles while using their flash cards. I stress to them to spend more time on the "don't know" pile, but remind them to not forget the "know" pile. I tell them that while they review the "know" pile, if the miss one, put it back in the "don't know" pile. I do like the idea of using the flash cards as a game in class, I've never tried this, but am looking forward to in the upcoming weeks.

I use flashcards as well,but not in that compacity and I am open to new suggestions. I like the concept and I think I will adapt it. I have students to careate flashcards per chapter. The preparation is a form of studying and the grades in class has risen and we are having fun as well.

Gwendolyn, having the students create and use the cards is a good idea.

During my cardiovascular lab I go over the students flash cards, that they have made, and I read their questions to them. It gives us the opportunity to discuss the lecture or information while they apply it during lab. It also helps me know the students strength and weakness and gives us some one on one time to clarify something they did not understand.

This is a great review idea, Zekrayat.

Flash cards are a great idea for learning different information. I use flash card to learn my power points for my lecture classes and use them for my students for vocabulary and definitions. it really does help to see it visually

Since you yourself use the flashcards as tools, you can model their effectiveness to your students.

Flash cards are a great tool for my students when studying terminology. We play games and the students really enjoy it.

For Medical Terminology it is "hands-down" the right tool for the job. Most of our students are busy working jobs while attending school. My suggestion is always take a new handful of flash cards put them in your pocket and learn a few throughout your day!

Carrie, this is a great and practical suggestion.

Flash cards is the best tool especially for a beginner who is new to medical terminology. I put the students in a group and we play jeopardy termonology the students really enjoy it and they like getting the prizes which are school supplies pens,markes post-it notes stapler and simple candy and gum.

I also used flash cards when I was learning medical terminology. Whenever I was doing chores I would pull them out and memorize them as I was doing dishes, riding in a car, and also when I was on lunch at my work. I would have some of the people I was having lunch with test me. It worked!

You were able to marry your personal life with your learning...great strategy for success!

Sign In to comment