Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

medical terminology

I teach medical terminology (min 2 classes a semister) and I try to keep the class interesting by having each student ( every class) sound out the word and tell the definition and break down the words ( suffix, prefix and root word)

Individual and small group reinforcement of words is a successful set of learning strategies, Tina.

100% Agree. we also utilize flip cards

We utilize word surgery, where students must identify the root word (combining form), the pre-fix, and suffix, and then defining the medical word base off the surgery.

We do word surgery as well. I also assign each student as either a suffix, prefix or root word and assign them a specific word. I then call out a definition and they must put themselves in the order of the correct word. A little crazy, but lots of fun and they remember who was what!!

I had not thought of calling it "word surgery," but it is appropriate. I explain to my students that in order to understand any big, complicated medical word it is important to break-down the word into its smaller elements (prefix, root word, and suffix). Once the elements are understood, then it is easy to figure out its meaning.
I start the class by writing "circumorbital hematoma" on the white board. Then I ask them to break down the word by starting with what they already know.
The second word on the board is "rhinotillexomania."

I agree, when students are in groups they tend to take more information in. At the same token the flash cards allow them to focus on the words meaning/spelling. It is a very helpful tool

I use crossword puzzles and flashcards in my Medical Terminology classes and these methods prove to be very helpful

Many of our peers find these a valuable tool as well.

I try to relate the structure of words to the specific anatomic site...integrating Anatomy with the appropriate terms...this takes a lot of time initially but does pay off as students progress and integrate the root words with the appropriate prefixes and suffixes. I absolutely DO NOT have student memorize the terms. Relating/associating them to systems, albeit sometimes frustrating will pay off.

Joseph, this teaching strategy does teach students to think, which is a critical part of being in a health career. Keep up your good work.

This is more my speed. I think it is very important that the student can relate the word to the anatomit system and it's functions. This method seem to be very effective with my students.

Like that term - I can see how that can be a good activity.

I utilize videos as well

Sign In to comment