Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Bone DIg

We have a large sandbox outside our classroom where we bury various loose bones. The students locate them like they were on an archeological dig and have to name them. Then we have them assemble the skeleton

Great idea, Amy! Thanks for sharing it.

Do you have a large area for a sandbox? Is it messy? Do the students like this activity? Would assembling a skeleton be hard to transport and wear out the prop?
Although this is a great idea;I would like to select a student to name a bone and that student in turn select a bone for the next student that she/he selects name another bone. This is done until all the bones are named. How does that sound to you?

That sounds practical and workable.

I love this idea! We have an old skeleton that has fallen apart, I find that students seem to learn more from that one than the one that is all put together. Maybe the one in pieces is more approachable. Thank you for sharing!

Our sandbox is located outside the classroom near the student patio. We keep it covered with a tarp to keep out the local cats! The students love the exercise. We don't necessarily assemble an entire skeleton. For example, we might bury a portion of a mandible, then ask the students to identify whether it was a carnivore, omnivore or herbivore based on its dentition. Sometimes asking a critical thinking question about the bone is more fun than just naming it.

Amy,I like the idea of covering with the tarp.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment