Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using different methods

As for as using different methods to educate students, using different color markes to write notes on the board and to elaberate my point is best received by my students. using one color tends to be boring as i was told. Points that i need to stand out more than the rest i use a different color, and so far it has been effective.

Georgia, this is especially true if your colors are significant, such as prefixes all in blue, suffixes in [purple, etc.

I completely agree with this theory. I always try to use color markers, colored paper, different props or visual aids, etc. I think it brings some excitement to the learning process. Thanks.

When playing any games where I have words written on index cards or definitions, I code my cards. Yellow= suffixes; blue= prefixes; pink= combining forms. It helps them remember the words and their parts.

Color can make a difference.

I have been using different colors on the board for a long time and it really makes a diffeence with the students. They seem to be looking forward as to what color will be next.. keeps them wanting to come to class.

Color can tap into visual memory and make dry content more lively.

I agree using different colored markers to write on the white board. The students are able to distinguish different types of abnormalities that occur to normal anatomy structures. For example, I draw a normal size/structure heart and as I explain and draw (on top of the normal size heart in a different color) the way aortic valve insufficiency can have an affect on the heart.

Great idea to use color to denote normal and not!

I, too, use different colors on the board. I also draw pictures to emphasize a tough to understand meaning. Not all drawings are anatomically related. These drawings usually get laughs and my students tell me they remember these examples the most.

Learners remember those things that are unexpected.

Yes, deversity in learning is so effective!

I really like this idea. I am new to teaching medical terminology and I am looking for ideas to make the classes less DRY!

Have anyone tried using life experiences of students? Sometimes I will use that because I am teaching adult learners

Odette, using learner experience is a solid idea that many do not use.

Michele Deck

great point. even something as simple as using different colors shows that these forums are a great idea for people to learn new ways to keep their classes stimulating. thanks.

Sign In to comment