Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Brush with Fame

This is a very good reminder not only for the student sbut also for the instructors. We forget about the HIPAA requirement that we are sometimes not aware that we are already discussing confidential matters along the corridors, in the restrooms, in cafeterias, or even in the shopping mall.

We forget that sometimes the patient might be behind us or a family or friend of a patient can hear the discussions.

Knowing a gossip about a celebrity sometimes makes it exciting to talk about for hours. Then people end up talking about some medical histories that they might be aware of.

This is a good reminder about practicing ethics in the health places and also with regards patient care.

Marlo, this is a great activity to make all the points you brought out. Hope it helps in your classes.

I liked this idea. I teach an externship prep class and we cover and re-cover HIPAA and patient confidentiality. This would be a great reminder to my students to be careful about the who/what/why/where they're talking about in the clinical setting. I can also see an advantage of trying for those students who are going to an office where everyone knows everyone else and gossip and "stories" can run rampant!

Michele, you will find a positive response from your learners with this activity.

I have used this technique in class and you will find that the students tend to be more aware of what they say. Works great. It also forms a respect for each other in the class.

Brandi, I agree respect is important.

I tell my students that just when you think someone cannot hear you, someone is listening. I work in the OR, it never fails for someone to hop on the elevator, and begin discussing patient cases they are involved with for that day. I never understand why health care professionals do not take more precautions with this confidential information.

People are sometimes unaware that they are breaking hipaa.

I think that this is a great way to remind students to be aware of their surroundings.

Sign In to comment