Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Classroom Technology for an Old School New Educator.

Becoming an educator late in life was exciting and challenging.  Technology is a wonderful tool in combination with real world experience.  Learing to use and facilitate technology was frightening at first and now has opened my mind to different ways of education. New learners appreciate and relate to technology, it is a must for educators,  keeping in mind to utlize many methodologies in instruction for a well rounded student and education.

Technology in the classroom

Does anyone use electronic quizzes that can be e-mailed to students, provide an instant grade to both the student and instructor when completed the due date?

What does LMS mean?

What does LMS mean?

Trying New Ways of teaching

I am going to try out Playing learning games with my students when I feel like I am loosing them. I am also going to chaeckout Adobe Education Exchange and Quizstar.

Group Vs. Team Learning

For those of us who teach in design fields the idea of students working in groups should not come as a revelation. My faculty and I have been employing Group projects for over a decade; I have been teaching since ’97 and utilizing group work for pretty much that length of time. For that entire time I have also heard the unified groan that comes from students when they hear that they will be working in groups, and the inevitable pushback from some students for a variety of reasons. Group projects (and learning) is valuable in a number of ways… >>>

Using social media in a classroom environment

Many school environments do not welcome or even do not authorize using social media in the classroom, yet the use of social media could be a very effective tool to impart knowledge and introduce creative discussion of the topics included in a course’s curriculum. As a teacher, I understand how beneficial the interaction brought about by establishing such connections with outside sources could be to promote knowledge acquisition and encourage class participation. Even in a ESOL class, in which sometimes there is resistance to speak English due to shyness or fear of making mistakes, a contact with outside speakers could… >>>

Technology and Power Point

I have been adding more technology to power point by adding videos of medical assisting procedures. Students are able to view the procedures numerous times to improve performance.

technology

This class will prove useful for myself and the students.

The Use of PBS Video and MyLab from Pearson

As a Biology Instructor, I have found that PBS Video (specifically Frontline, NOVA, and Nature) are excellent teaching tools when discussing how topics in Biology affect us on a daily basis. It provides students with an opportunity to witness audio, visual, and current events all at the same time. In my class, I usually assign a "Video Synopsis" where a student is required to write a two-page summary on the plot of the movie and on criticisms and reactions. Additionally, as an English Instructor I found that some students who are struggling with grammar, spelling, and punctuation can work on… >>>

The Importance of Videoconferencing for Multiple Campuses

The academic institution where I teach is comprised of a chain of for-profit technical colleges throughout the Southern United States. If there was ever a need for instructors to come together and hash out new teaching strategies or tips for classroom management, this is all made possibly through videoconferencing. Schools can save money and will have an opportunity to team up with colleagues who show great promise in their classrooms and with their curriculum.

Online Teaching Using Moodle

At my institution, online instructors are expected to host discussions using discussion boards as part of the required attendance of each student. Students must create a post themselves and then reply to posts from three other students. This back-and-forth interaction creates camaraderie, fosters teamwork, and promotes active engagement with the course material.

Using Technology in a Non-Majors Biology Course

Over the past few terms, I have noticed an increase in student understanding and retention when it comes to properly dissecting frogs. The idea of using a virtual biology lab came to me after I noticed that students struggled to identify the major organs of the frog system simply based on lecture notes. By requiring the completion of a virtual lab prior to the actual lab (in-class using real tools) it reaffirms to each student their own comprehension. Students show more enthusiasm and energy when they arrive to class and are ready to go. Technology and Biology make an excellent… >>>

Target audiences

Not considered here, I like the concept but it may take years to incorporate this into everyones everyday learning.

Technology

Introducing new technology initiates student interest.

Quiz star rocks

Co worker turned me on to quiz star after taking this module and after using two classes as a beta test, the students love it. Easy to use and set up, can add media. I use it for short quizzes after every day of lecture. Unanticipated benefit is competition between students taking quizzes and discussions concerning quizzes. Highly recommend quiz star. Other instructors are now using and in time the students will taking quizzes on quiz star from their first class to their last.

Frustration with new techniques and technology

After incorporating an interactive presentation on powerpoint, it failed during lecture. Turned out that IT had updated the classroom computers which in turn removed all hyperlinks. this has happened on several occasions with video and other presentations that were meant to be interactive. I have found that links directly to web sites are often lost and so are no longer used. I am not opposed to technology in the classroom, quite the opposite but I wonder how others are dealing with constant issues in regards to the reliability of the new technologies. I only bring it up because I have… >>>

interactive learning tool in the classroom

Whenever I can bring technology into my classroom I never miss the chance. My students can't get enough. The major textbook publishers now provide many interactive CD's and online labs.

Fair Use

Why is copyright such a tricky topic? Fair use for for educational purposes should be a save ground with clearly stated limits but it is not. The law is very imprecise on this and educational institutions have to be very careful because prestigious university and college libraries have had copyright infringement issues. For example, the amount of material that the students are allowed to copy is not specifically limited and there are many possibilities in between the extremes of copying an entire textbook from their school library (not fair use) and photocopying only a chapter (fair use).

Using technology

I use a lot of power points in class lecture but I use them simply to propmt what I want to say rather than reading to my students. I also add a lot of pictures for visual learners.

I am technology phobic during class

I am uncomfortable using technology in front of class and always ask for assistance getting started. Should I have a cheat sheet for all the different technology devices we have?