Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Collaborative and Experiential Learning | Origin: ED204

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Tomorrow's Learning Environment Today --> Collaborative and Experiential Learning

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Kolb's experiential learning model- it takes into account 4 abilities which takes into consideration the others and ways to incorpoate into class will include active participation such as performing new skills in lab.

In this section, I learned that Kolb's experiential learning theory is based on 4 learning preferences (concrete experience, reflective observation, abstract conceptualization, and active experimentation) in which the student learner uses to "spiral through" learning.  I believe I can incorporate this concept in my classroom by using journaling, hands on skills practice, and simulation.

Learning style describes the unique ways that individuals move through the learning cycle based on their preference for the four different learning modes—concrete experience, reflective observation, abstract conceptualization, and active experimentation.

I like the idea of collaboration learning, involving the students in being the mentor, I find that students want to help each other learn the topics, so I want to add more of this in the classroom

This section focuses on the 4 different learning techniques. I can see how all of these methods would increase student attainment. Using a variety of techniques allows many different opportunities for students. 

That was a good comparrison of collaborative and cooperative learning.  Experimental learning is an interesting concept that makes sense in the classroom setting especially as content is linked to real life experiences and opportunites.  

So interesting! Collaborative, cooperative and experiential learning theory = have the student active and responsible for his learning level – knowledge or skill, “I heard about it or I can do it”!

Using a combination of various methods that uses collaboration, cooperation, and the experiential learning theory will allow the student to take on a more active role of their learning environment and will result in a higher level of thinking to increase knowledge of material. 

I have been working on ideas of setting up groups in the shop to have older students work with younger students and this section is a great fit for how that could work. 

concrete experience, reflective observation, abstract conceptualization, and active experimentation will keep the student engaged during classroom time which should promote better learning.

Students helping each other in a collaboration form is powerful in itself. 

Collaborative learning is important in classrooms.

Concrete experience, active experimentation, abstract conceptualization is important in the classroom and will help students keep engaged 

Theory is very good. But unfortunately all infrastructure is designed for traditional approaches. Code in Python seems to be a very good application of experience based learning.

The transition is slow but exciting.  I agree with Jose.  The infrastructure will not fully support modern teachings yet.

In experiential learning cycle, knowledge results from combination of grasping and transforming experience. Nursing is  not only about learning theory but be able to perform certain skills to care for our patients. 

I was not yet familiar with Kolb's 4 stages; the stages revealed a gap in my instructional methods in that I do not include much guided reflection; I can see how this would add value. 

True experiential learning involves a cycle of concrete experience, reflective observation, abstract conceptalization, and active experimentation.

Sign In to comment