Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Educational Value of Instructional Technology | Origin: ED126

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Integrating Technology into Education --> Educational Value of Instrcutional Technology

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The use of self-grading tests with immediate feedback to the student is exciting; I have personally benefitted from this type of testing.  From my personal experiance, this would be a huge asset in training students.

The multi-modal approach to teaching. This will not only hit on the different student learning preferences but also change it up for everyone and hit all the senses.

Yes there will be more work with having to divide on line w/ brick and mortar at first but I feel it may make teaching easier with students that lear better on line.

It's important to address students learning styles in a variety of ways. Visual learners, auditory learners, reading/writing type learners and kinesthetic learners should all be considered when presenting a technology lesson.

It is important to consider various types of content for teaching . Most adult students learning is multimodal.

I love for my students to self grade their test so they know what they did wrong

I have worked with self-grading technology in multiple universities, but there are some disadvangages for this technology aspect, they sometime don't explain why a student is answered wrong or right or gives a vague explanation. But most of the time my experience was good with auto grading feature. It also, reduce a teacher's workload significantly.

Reply to Barbara Anthony's post:Yes I agree with you here Barbara on multi-level learning and just to add my thoughts to your wonderful post, multi-learning model is very beneficial format for adult learners with limited technology skills. It add skills to their learning and also enhance their learning experience through multi-modal learning such as hubrid learning where they learn both in classroom as well as online through various learning tolls provided to them.

The better way to teach the students is to engage the students using different methods instead of lecturing. Use games, questioning, projects, group discussions. 

I like the idea of using multiple methods of delivering instruction and the methods for saving time with grading. All this is great. I believe it's all about fiding what works best for you, and more importantly, what works best for your students. 

Use of self-grading tests, analytical functions of the LMS, and blending learning strategies, tools and resources, would allow instructors to focus on developing their professional and pedagogical skills.

This module provided a good review of teaching to the various learning styles (VARK) and provided considerations to consider when teaching adult learners.  I find that using the LMS system can actually save a lot of time in regards to grading quizzes/tests and provides an accessible forum for discussion, too.  

To ensure quality education is provided, one must be aware of the many types of learning styles to reach all students.

Reply to Angela Zaugg's post: I agree, this module provided a good review of teaching to the various learning styles. I, too have found that using the LMS system can save a lot of time, especially in regards to grading.   

Good review on teaching ti various learning styles

I have learned that there are different forms of contact hours that will still apply if using technology in the classroom. 

Keep in mind the different types of learning styles and acknowledge them. Adule may have multiple ways to learn.

The most important takeaway for me in this module was the note regarding optimizing technology around education, rather than education around technology. Even the most advanced tools are useless in untrained hands, and CTE needs to ensure graduates are both prepared to enter their fields as skilled professionals that are critical thinkers and equally capable when it comes to new technology.

Agree with Mr. Calcasola , Mrs. Anthony, and Mr. Chelsea.

It's important to address students learning styles. Visual learners, auditory learners, reading/writing type learners and kinesthetic learners should all be considered when presenting lessons. The military has used this concept for years.

In my experince, using Multi-modal approach clearly has produced excellent results, specially with international students. In some countries, students are supposed to seat, receive information and only talk when asked. You can see the classroom environment change when you teach a lesson, provide visual aids, PE's, and have students discussions on the lessons taught.

Sign In to comment