Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Smart Phone Usage

Does anyone have any ideas on the use of smart phones in class. We normally restrict the students from even having their phones out during class time, and I'm trying to give them opportunities to actually use the phones.

Power Point

I have found it works best for me if I set up my power point presentations with very little text. I like slides with pictures and diagrams that I can talk about. You can include an outline as a guide so you remember what you need to discuss with the students regarding each slide, and offer the notes to the students in a printed form if you like. This way you'll avoid simply reading the notes to your students and putting them to sleep. It does require that you know the information inside and out, because you can never tell… >>>

technology

Technology does enhance learning and helps students stay engaged.

On-line exams

I like these for the reason that they are hassle-free for the instructor. I don't use them because they are hard to proctor, they become open internet browser tests. I am finding that I still prefer to hand out my printed tests and quizzes and collect and grade them myself although the "times they are a changin'" as Bob Dylan once said.

Twitter

I think the students that I teach are on their phones so much already, I am not sure I want to encourage them to be on them even more. I do understand how it could benefit a classroom situation but having something class related like that, almost gives them free reign to use their phones whenever and however they want during class.

Technology

Boy, I must be way behind the curve, I use power point and my knowledge of the subject to engage the student. It requires a lot of energy but I love what I do. Things like Google Apps and wikispace are things I am going to have to learn more about...very interesting!

Which Presentation method is better: PowerPoint or Prezis

Comparing and Contrasting PowerPoint and Prezis, which one is considered to be better?

The Pros and Cons of Utilizing Technology in the Classroom

I would like to discuss the pros ad cons of Technology Integration in the classroom. I have had positive and negative experiences utilizing technology in the classroom. What are your thoughts on this?

Netiquette

A very important consideration PRIOR to utilizing social media is to discuss proper online etiquette. Doing so up front should prevent issues later. Controversial topics can lead to heated discussions and/or flaming. Below is a good list of core rules. http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html

Slippery Slope

The sharing of technology can hurt the profit margin of many creative enterprises. Millenials tend to expect forms of entertainment like music to be free of charge.

When teaching specific software...

Rather than preparing a powerpoint that displays images and bullet points about a specific piece of software, it is more advisable to just use the software itself during class and have students watch as the instructor works through scenarios. Agree or disagree?

online forums and chat rooms

I have found that engaging in online forums and chat rooms allows members of the same interest, to interact and share experiences, and collectively work together to search for understanding or solutions.

Use of new technology

The collection of tools that make it easier to use create, manage and exchange information, is pertinent in the educational field. As an instructor it is imperative to be knowledgeable about new technology.

A Luddite in vertual space:

“If it isn’t broke….” For many years I have been struggling with introducing technology into my lesson plans. Why create power points when I have a white board and marker in my classroom? Why display it on a projector when I can hand out copies in my class? Then one day I stopped over my in-laws and witnessed my Father in-law flip though a phone book to find the number for a local pizza shop. That’s when it dawned on me. That was me in the classroom. The Luddite embracing past technology because it still does the job. And I… >>>

Technology is another resource to succeed

Welcome to the world of evolution where we rely on technology every day of our lives. Technology is such a valuable resource to use when trying to accomplish a task. It's good to understand how to utilize it when needed and make due with our own judgment when it's not available. Technology is a learning tool, entertainment, diagnostic tool, transportation, etc. Hooray for technology.

How can online quiz generators help you quickly identify strengths and

How can online quiz generators help you quickly identify strengths and weaknesses in student performance?

quiz

Customs quiz online? This is amazing. It allows students to practice and engage with teachers way to think.

social media

how important and powerful that is. I usually use Facebook

information sharing

I think slide share is great. I learned something new. Didn't know that existed.

tecnology

Technology is very important. I love to lean more and more how to work it.