Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Ebooks

Digital books are great for those learners that like to scan the material before reading it. They are also very helpful to find specific answers to questions.

Instructor Forums

Instructor forums in the industry are a great way to support one another in challenges with teaching. Student success can be promoted by joining these forums.

Class Wiki

A class wiki seems to be a comfortable place for the student to go. It might be a less formal setting, but we also must be careful with information in this setting.

Practice

Putting technology into practice and repeating its uses during tasks makes it familiar. When a student reaches that point it builds confidence with new technologies.

New Technologies

In order to meet our emerging tech savvy student population, it is important that we engage and modify our instructional approach to these new learners and the avenues of receiving information. What have you done to connect and provide instruction to these new learners?

Cell phones in the classroom

I have found cell phones in my class to be more of an obstruction to learning than a help. Is there a way I can make attention while I am in class?

Organizations

Through this module I have learned about several organizations that I will be looking into. As a teacher of technology I believe it is important to be up-to-date and current on all that is going on in my field and I believe these organizations will benefit me in this way. I also four Museum.tv and I can't wait to explore it.

Livestream

I have been teaching video technology for the past eight years and I know very little about Livestream. I had no idea that you could broadcast and I could have my students broadcast through this platform. I am excited to learn more about it and use it in the future. Susan

Interactive documentaries

I am working on my doctorate in Computer Science-Emerging Media. My dissertation is on Interactive Documentaries for Social Change. This is a new frontier in documentary film making and might just be the next best teaching and learning tool. This art/tech form is a combination of a linear documentary with areas in which the viewer can become interactive with the environment and learning of the subject area. I am attempting to utilize some of the techniques I am learning in my current classroom and it is showing great promise. Susan

I make my own online quizes

It's hassle free, and I've seen in my own classes that most students won't try and cheat by using the browser. They will be too scared to be caught. Then there are the brave ones that cheat. But the way i see it, they are seeking out the answers!!! They may even remember what they just learned by doing so! :-)

Skype Guest Speaker

I haven't done this yet but I'm seriously thinking about doing it.

My students can't learn properly without smart phones

Most of my classes I teach, web design & App Design, need smart phones to understand the ways of Apps in order to design correctly for them, and to see how a web site works on a desktop browser compared to a smart phone.

Removing paper textbooks from the classroom - thoughts?

I've thought for a while now that a great solution to the absurd cost of physical textbooks would be to include an iPad or Kindle with student tuition and load it with ebook versions of all of their textbooks for their given program. This should be done at a fraction of the cost of traditional printed textbooks.

Teaching Technology

I am not only a student of technology but I teach it as well. I am currently in the last stages of my doctorate in computer science in emerging media. But I am also a high school and college teacher of digital video productions. Even with my educational level, I find that my digital native students teach me something everyday. It is so important as teachers that we incorporate technology into our teaching, if only to keep up with our students and keep them actively involved. I work with many "older" teacher who believe that the lecture is still the… >>>

Show them the good...

I show the students the good, the bad the ugly.

online chat

How can we tell when the students are using the phones for the good of education.

smart phones

Do we let the students use the smart phones, in class?

Using 3rd Party Websites

An important consideration to any of the suggestions in this module is whether or not you are allowed to use 3rd party websites. Some schools only allow approve sites to be used in the curriculum, which means you may not be able to have your students use GoogleDrive or other sites that require them to create a login. The same is true if you are looking to create a wiki, blog, or other information sharing site. Check with your IT and academic departments to make sure there are no policies that would prohibit this.

Digital EBooks

We are considering supplying the students with electronic devices (IE. Tablets) and going to EBooks, does anyone have any advice on doing this, pro's and con's?

Getting students to use discussion groups

Any ideas on how to get the student to use discussion groups without requiring a number of posts. I find that when you require a number of replies, it becomes just that, a chore for the student to accomplish.