Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Transformative and Cooperative Learning | Origin: ED204

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Tomorrow's Learning Environment Today --> Transformative and Cooperative Learning

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I leart that group effort is better than individual effort, ways i will incorporate it into my class is by having group assignments.

To effectively incorporate a cooperative learning environment, the concept of positive interdependence (ie. group effort is more effective than individual effort/learning from others) is beneficial.  The instructor has the responsibility to convey to the student that individual accountability is still necessary in order to optimize the learning experience.  I will incorporate cooperative learning in my classroom to assist students who have difficulty grasping understanding of the material from the initial lecture/activity.  By placing them in a group that consists of a mixed learning types and abilities, all students can learn from each other.

we have group lab periods where they talk amoung the group members, then give their answers.  When is comes to quizes or test.  It should aways be an individual effort.  This way, we can measure they adaptability to learn not only from you, but from there piers.

My class is set up majority in cooperative groups because it is a lab based class and the students respond well to it. I rarely do tests and quizzes in a group setting though, I do need to make sure that the individual is learning the material and not solely relying on their group mates

Cooperative learning works well in the lab setting, however, in past experiences, students don't often like to share projects and other assignments.  Gaining their cooperation will take some effort from the instructor for sure.

In cooperative learning, small groups work together toward a common goal. The structure, interactive processes and accountability help the students become committed to learning, develop a shared vision, and become open-minded. Students are encouraged to ask questions and to "think outside the box," thereby influencing the degree to which higher learning occurs.

Being able to work within a groups and improve performance and increase learning if the student egages in the group.

I find that group activities are great, I have found though that students do not like to be graded as a group. They like to have control over just themselves. I do like the fact that it would hold everyone more responsible to put their best effort forward.

Cooperative learning in the culinary world has always been necessary due to shared tasting of foods and perfecting recipes.  The new challenge is to find ways to add that shared learning experience with basic knowledge activities such as conversions, sanitation, and daily recipe and ingredient learning

I utilize both transformational and cooperative learning in my classes but I do feel that most students prefer cooperative learning. I sometimes struggle getting those that are not as motivated to so show growth and attainment. 

Cooperative learning can be very effective, and I like to use it in my classroom.  It has been difficult to do this year with all the social distancing guidelines, but technology has helped some.  I hope to get back to being able to use cooperative learning more in the future.  

Group quiz is an interesting strategy. I think would be beneficial if the assessment / assignment is configured correctly – meaning – allocated time, #of students in group, #of questions, question type, question difficulty level. I think I will incorporate this strategy as minor activity  at first!

It is important for students to have individual roles and accountability while working in peer groups.  They learn through both methods, but need the extra accountability to make sure contributions are equal while also learning from each other. 

It is important in cooperative learning that the project is designed that all must participate in order to succeed.  The whole group must be active in order to meet the goal, so it is necessary to set this up and discuss thoroughly before groups/activities are assigned.

Reply to Courtney Anastasia's post:I agree. There always seems to be that one student that the others complain about who isn't doing their fair share.

I really like the group learning aspect. I think that each student has a lot to give a group if they know how to do it.

Cooperative learning works well in the lab setting, however, in past experiences, students don't often like to share projects and other assignments.

I believe that each student has a lot to give a group if they understand how to give it.

Group learning is awesome for each student

Sign In to comment