Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning With Tablets | Origin: ED127

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Tablets as Teaching Tools --> Learning With Tablets

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I Don't really care for tablets because I think people are naturally made to interact with other people I love interacting with my students its more caring and personal.

We need to convey the value of adding this technology as a teaching tool to the students. Maybe it will lkeep them using their tools for a useful purpose.

There is some much information provided on the internet. Having the tablet is the classroom will expand the students knowledge and use of the resources available to them

Using tablets in the classroom can sometimes become a distraction for the students so they should be monitored throughout the lecture. 

I agree totally that tablets should not be used 100% of the time, but should be used as aids to the lesson. Students should still have periods of time where they converse and collaborate in class. Tablets should not be the "instructor" either.

The challenge that was being created for educators was how to make use of these devices in a way that did not distract from the learning process while providing support to students in their work and research. As everyone was getting familiar with tablets and how they could be used, apps of all kinds were being developed to support the technical aspects of tablet operation. This put educators in the position of needing to become familiar with the operation of tablets, as well as how to identify and select apps that would support learning. 

Set limits at the start of the lesson to explain what the tablets will be used for that day. This will (help) limit other distracting uses.

Utilizing tablets and having personal devices in a classroom setting can be a distraction. I believe if the tablet is going to be used in the classroom than the personal devices should have to be putaway to keep them from being distracted.

Tablets can be useful in some courses.

Tablets in the classroom can still be distracting

Tablets are a two-edged sword. Yes if left on their desk with the ability to navigate outside of an app will be very distracting. 

My opinion: However, if we can keep them in an app we can offer more interactivity. 

Teachers had a challenge in figuring out how to use these tools without detracting from the learning process while still assisting students with their projects and research

Tablets should not replace the instructor/student interaction.

Sign In to comment