Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Professional Development

the ability to deliver quality experience from corporate America has proven to be most valuable for many college students entering the job market.

soft skills

how effective are your soft skills.

emotional intelligence

It is a great opportunity to discuss emotional intelligence when teaching the Student Success course, it helps students to understand the importance of managing themselves and how they relate to others.

Was anyone else shocked by the percentages?

I was really surprised to see that the study resulted in 15% importance of Tech skills versus 85% for Soft skills. It makes sense, I suppose, when I stopped to think about it, but that number was a real eye opener. I've always sort of felt that soft skills were important for teachers, as we deal with people on a constant basis. It was really refreshing to see that those skills are appreciated in other industries as well! Very enlightening!

Emotional Intelligence

I knew or had heard about soft skills but I did not know much about Emotional Intellegence and how they are related. It is important for me to know how my or other people's emotions can influence the classroom. I like when the course points out that you want to control the emotions not the behavior in your classroom. Thanks for making me more aware of this!

teaching by way of computers

Sometimes this task can be easy but sometimes it becomes a real challenge to do. Some students do well with it while others tend to struggle.

Soft Skills

How do you test soft skills in the classroom setting?

What to do when a colleague uses your hand-out/materials

What if a colleague uses your hand-outs and other materials or adopt some of your procedures and present them as hers without even mentioning your name as source. Will it be more efficient to talk to the person or to just keep quiet about it.

Feel the subject and the student

If the instructor wants to be effective in transferring the knowledge, they must feel the knowledge they share and feel the ones they share it with. That seems to be the catalyst for a successful learning environment. In the classroom one of the ingredients are missing, the feeling for the subject matter or the feelings for the students. How can one achieve both if the work environment does not really cultivate those qualities? Monique

Learners with Desire

Todays learners must have a desire to push themselves to engage in further training,computer skills,self-management,and ethics to become the BEST they can possibly be!

Technology and today's student

Technology today makes students lazy. Immediate answers are at their fingertips 24/7. They do not learn materials for a life time of recollection, rather for a moment to pass a test. Anything that can be done, there is a YouTube video for and information on the internet. Students feel they can look up information at anytime; therefore long-term retention is lost.

Lead by Example

Instructors are role models that should lead by example. As an instructor you should display a sense of time management by starting class on time and ending on time. An instructors attitude should inspire and motivate students.

IQ and EQ

Hard intelligence and IQ is known by everyone. Same with me. I never thought of soft intelligence so important. But after going through this topic I realize that soft intelligence is very important in the daily life. The way we interact with students and other collegues is mainly based on soft intelligence. and success in the jobs and putting impact on students life is not depends on IQ only, mostly on EQ.So to be succesful in this respect we should be more focused on EQ then IQ.

Soft Skills for Instructors

I truly enjoyed taking this online program. I thought I knew exactly what "soft skills" contained, but, in fact, I learned much more about myself than I thought. I learned that I need to concentrate more on my own "personal" feelings, when discussing, teaching and relating to my coworkers on a day to day basis. I also believe, that "body language" has much to do with our "soft skills' as well as, our personal, verbal communication.

Self-Learning and Lifelong Success

I teach in a program that is heavily technology-based, and I often find that some students have difficulty remembering HOW to complete a particular task on the hardware or in the software; however, they have no problem remember the loads of technical jargon that goes along with this field. The issue I've found is that many students have had it printed into their brain that studying is all reading and bookwork. What I do to solve this issue, and also to get the students learning at home, is give them short hands-on homework projects. Albeit many students do not always… >>>

Teaching interaction

After covering a topic I will break the groups down by their tables. I will write down the main systems we are discussing on the board so they know what the topics of our discussion will be. Have each group add an explanation of the system to each topic and discuss the answers amongst the groups

common sense

I think there are no instructors at our school that lack common sense. We all seem to work together and do what has to be done- we all work together as a team and work together to figure out certain things.

Balance

I hope this hasn't been addressed already, but this immediately came to mind for me while viewing the presentations!.. I absolutely agree in the value and importance of both soft and hard skills, but specific to soft/people skills and workplace behaviors there has to be some type of balance. Being "too kind" or "too understanding", "too helpful" can quickly lead into being taken advantage of if not careful! I can think of several examples in my career in which something went horrible wrong, including instructors who were late posting final grades as they had allowed students to submit assignments very… >>>

Computer Lit

I currently teach in a clinical program that has incorporated the use of computers daily in the curriculum. We use computers for scheduling patients, treatment records and radiographs. We agree that our students must be computer literate to give them the best chance to succeed as a professional on the job.

pluralistic students in the class room

In this forum, I learned a bit more in using soft skills amoung diverse students that I often teach. The importance of soft skills was reflected in the Harvard student. That was a surprise.