Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology and today's student

Technology today makes students lazy. Immediate answers are at their fingertips 24/7. They do not learn materials for a life time of recollection, rather for a moment to pass a test. Anything that can be done, there is a YouTube video for and information on the internet. Students feel they can look up information at anytime; therefore long-term retention is lost.

Amy,
Students do look up information all the time, but are they looking up correct information???

Shelly Crider

In response to the previous 2 discussions, I agree with both. Information is a fingertip away but is it always factual? Google and YouTube are a quick and easy fix for information but would agree that this isnt always the best choice. I have 6 papers that are due in my class. I require my students to use at least one hard copy/hand held perodical in their research. I am a very young teacher so I do not have that "old school" thought or mindset when it comes to research. Computer aided reserach is here to stay. I firmly beleive that having a book, magazine or something that you can hold in your hand makes an impact on your learning and retention of information.

Matthew,
Oh I have to teach my students this too. Just because you find an answer online, does not make it correct!

Shelly Crider

Well technology are good some purposes. I think they do need it for assignments. Most of the material is coming out our books from lecture.

Loretta,
There are many students who have book anxiety! They do not quite get the handle on the book. That is where we instructors jump in to help!

Shelly Crider

To expand my students knowledge of one of our term topics I have the students do a writing assignment. I provide the name of the accepted journals the students can find their article in. They can either locate the journal online or use a hard copy. The paper is completed in APA format which includes citations.

Using technology to find the articles is important to the students understanding of the appropriate use of technology.
Writing the paper in APA format has also helped the students understanding of document writing. This has been an area of struggle as the students may know how to use a smart phone, but they lack the knowledge of how to format a document.

Marie,
Journals are full of information and should be on our resource list. Great job.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment